1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

8.1 to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by reknaw, 2015/10/30.

1. 2015/10/30
    reknaw

reknaw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

After all the problems I had going from Win7 to Win 10 on my laptop (which was my fault for "resetting" after a successful upgrade) I am please to report I am happy with it .... enough that I now want to upgrade my main laptop from 8.1 to WIN 10.

I know enough to use the Media Creation Tool and to not to use reset for a clean install. So hopefully it will transfer most of my files/programs over and in tact. I will back up the important ones though which brings me to my question..

How can I back up all my emails and email folders onto a USB stick so that I can transfer them onto Outlook in W10 in case they don't show up. Is there a program I can download to open them should I not be able to open then in W10 and where are they now located in W8.1 I would feel better having them on the USB stick knowing I can open them somehow.... thanks

2. 2015/10/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/30
    reknaw

reknaw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks Evan - I'll read and hopefully digest that information before proceeding....cheers

5. 2015/10/31
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Why not just let Windows Update update to W10 and not worry about the ISO or media creation tool. It is important to understand that of the 120 million users who have already upgraded to W10, they did so without problem via Windows Update.

Bill,
  6. 2015/10/31
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

See my post under "what a turkey" for the nasties that happened to me.

7. 2015/10/31
    Bill

Well, you are not the OP so there is no reason to assume the same problems will occur here - assuming W8.1 and drivers are fully updated and everything is working properly.

The facts are, the vast majority of W10 upgrades have occurred with no problems at all and this is especially true for those upgrading from W8.1. The lion's share of problems have been with W7 systems.

Also, Microsoft has been continually tweaking the process so fewer and fewer problems are occurring as each new wave of global upgrades proceeds.

The main reason the media creation tool and ISO option was made available was for those who couldn't wait for the update through Windows Update.

Bill,
  8. 2015/10/31
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree with Bill and the W7 Upgrade to W10 needs user attention to detail. 3rd. party AV's with W7 need to be turned off/disabled/uninstalled before agreeing to the W10 installation. Neil.

9. 2015/11/01
    Bill

Coincidently, I just 30 minutes ago got a call from my son who lives in Kansas City. Yesterday he was finally offered the W10 upgrade via Windows Update even though he "reserved" his copy months ago when they started prompting for it.

He had W7 on the system and he said he did nothing but reboot when prompted and the upgrade completed with no problems.

Bill,