1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved 2008 R2 Share Question

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by Ebmm, 2015/12/29.

1. 2015/12/29
    Ebmm

Ebmm Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Hello All,

I am learning all I can about networking and I am beginning college next month for studies in just that. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn all I can on my own, as well as apply as much as possible to a hands on experience.

Today I configured Windows Server 2008 R2 for Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, and File Services roles within my home network of 3 machines, two devices; successfully too.......:)

What I'm curious about is how to use the server to allow certain shares to be accessed by certain users from outside the home. Is this possible, or even a good idea, while maintaining the required security? Is 2008 R2 Enterprise the OS that should be used? Can it be done via file services? The files would be primarily media. This is providing Time Warner allows port usage on a residential account. Won't know that till I try I suppose.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ebmm,
  2. 2015/12/30
    duwei

duwei New Member

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    DirectoryAccess,VPN or NAT

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/31
    Ebmm

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    It would seem that I am unsure about that. I would have to say, since who will be connecting are only a couple private users, I'd guess VPN. In the future If I want to host a site, I'll have to configure another means but for now and for this purpose.......VPN?

My upload speed is adequate for a media stream (on my end) but is there a difference in speed (relevant to them) with a different connection type?

Right now the access will be for the other user(s) to stream MP4s and view various files. I can assume VPN would be my best option?

Ebmm,
  5. 2015/12/31
    Ebmm

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Just some additional info: The server roles presently being used are Domain, DNS, DHCP, File and now Network Policy and Access (not configured). I have two NICs, one LAN w/ a static IP and the WLAN which is not being used. Am I to understand that I need a local area connection 2 that is not being used by the other roles if I want this VPN access to be thru the cat5e?

Ebmm,