1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

2 mths old PC run like tortoise

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by clanbuster, 2010/07/20.

1. 2010/07/20
    clanbuster

clanbuster Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just DIY setup new Core i7 with Windows 7.

PCs didn't install any games yet.
    Only installed Norton 360 and Microsoft office. THAT ALL.

Planning for this high end PC just for surf net only.
    After 1 mth, found that my PC start to slow down ALOT.

Booth time abt 4 min before able to click "IE "
    Loading IE need to wait for 1 min before I am to key in URL.
    Even start to key in URL address, sometime will hang for 30 sec before i can continue to typing.

For instance, currently i am typing this sentence at this forum, I will encounter problem due to suddenly hang for 30 sec to 40 sec before i can carry on typing.

My Office " word" loading for blank page is abt 50 sec or more. every slow.
    Same as IE, cannot do typing peacefully.

What i did:
    1) cleared cookie, history from IE
    2) update and scan , but not virus or spam found.

I was planning to format as is new. But i still wish to know why as although format is easilest choice. Pls advise.

2. 2010/07/21
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

Here is my evolving list of things that could be responsible for slowing the start-up, normal running and shutting down of your Windows 7 computer. Not all of them will apply to you but look through the list and try those that seem appropriate:

1. Make sure you are free from malware as that can slow it down. If necessary, run your "˜anti’ programs.
    2. Insufficient memory (RAM) can slow the system down. A minimum of 2GB is recommended, more if your system can cope with it. Also, SuperFetch preloads into memory the programs and data it expects you to use based on past usage. This does result in quite a lot of disk activity after startup as files are read from disk into memory but it can make a difference to the launch times of frequently used programs where a large amount of RAM is installed. It can be slightly beneficial to disable it on systems with less than 2GB of RAM via the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to Superfetch, double-click it and change the Startup type to Disabled and click Stop to immediately turn it off.
    3. Indexing takes a day or so to settle down on a new computer. The settings can be changed in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Indexing Options. However, if you don’t do much internal searching, turn it off completely via Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off in the left pane. > Indexing.
    4. Turn off Scheduled defragmentation via Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentation. However, every so often you need to check if any disks have become excessively fragmented, which can affect disk performance.
    5. Check if your antivirus program is scanning at boot time. This can be run when you feel it needs to be run, not at every start-up.
    6. You’ll get a slightly faster start-up if you optimise the boot files and applications by running a special defragmentation from an elevated CMD prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then "˜Run as Administrator’. Type defrag C:\ -b (note the two spaces) and press Enter. Depending upon your computer specification, it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to run.
    7. When you have a slow boot, check that no external drives have media in them. If they have, experiment by booting with it inserted and without.
    8. Disable any Services that you do not use, e.g. FAX, Parental Controls, Remote Registry and WMP Network Sharing. This is done by clicking the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Administration Tools > Services. Scroll down and Stop, then Disable any that are not used.
    9. Reduce the number of programs that start-up when you switch on the computer by downloading and installing the free Quick Startup. Not only does it check for the necessity of startup programs but it can identify "˜nasties‘. Get it here . To disable (recommended action) an entry, remove the tick alongside its name. To delete an entry from the list (it doesn't uninstall anything), highlight it and click Delete in the left pane. If you are unsure about an entry and want to know more about it, highlight it and then click "˜More information’ at the bottom of the screen.
    10. To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on, e.g. an antivirus program, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). The problem is sometimes shown on this screen, although you may have to click Advanced tools in the left pane then View performance details in the Event log. If the problem isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then "˜Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt. Close the Command Prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 100 series are start-up events. There may be a name or reason in the event listing.
    11. Although hard disk errors are rare, they can slow up the machine, so it‘s worth spending a bit of time checking. Click Computer > right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check > Properties > Tools Tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
    12. To see which tasks are running, open a Run window (Windows key+R), type cmd /k tasklist /svc (note the three spaces) and press Enter. Close the Command Prompt when you have finished viewing it. To get a better description of the associated Service(s), go to Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Processes Tab and on a specific Svchost, right-click it > Go to Service(s) to see all the Services, which are highlighted.
      Alternatively, use Process Explorer to see which services are running. To see the svchost processes, let the mouse pointer hover over each svchost.exe in the left pane. Get it here

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/07/21
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

clanbuster,

Please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions!

5. 2010/09/04
    clanbuster

clanbuster Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Now PC now back to normal speed without reason. But now came out with this error. Always need to press F1 to continue.
    My built in wifi not working anymore, could it be this problem? how to remove this error as below images. Thank you.

[​IMG]

6. 2010/09/04
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Those messages are coming from the motherboard itself, not from windows7.

Those messages point to your video card having a conflict with another (maybe WIFI?). Try pulling your PCI cards out, and reseat them. You may want to take a soft pencil eraser and clean the contacts on them.

7. 2010/09/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I assume you have installed the chipset drivers, etc for the motherboard??

8. 2010/09/23
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

It appears there is a conflict with a PCI add-in card.

My suggestion, move any add-in (PCI) card to another PCI slot.

9. 2010/09/23
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Your BIOS needs a serious update !

The shot shows a 2006 BIOS. That's ancient compared to the CPU you have.

Go to motherboard manufacturer's site & check if the BIOS in question properly supports the CPU or you need an update.