1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

1803 update problems.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by retiredlearner, 2018/06/25.

1. 2018/06/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

I've just been through the dramas of 1803 update stalling the wife's comp and then being unable start because it had a corrupted MBR.
    I couldn't get it to boot from Recovery disc or USB with W10 ISO. I did get finally to Startup Repair which failed everytime I tried it. It kept reporting the MBR was corrupt and Command Prompt didn't carry out the rebuild.
    Explorer in my comp would not always recognize the SSD which was 240GB capacity. When it did recognize it, I took the opportunity to save data/music/pics to a flash drive before the drive just disappeared from Explorer.
    I formatted the drive and then downloaded a fresh W10 ISO and burned to disc and put the SSD back in the wife's comp
    It took 5 attempts to get the disc to install on the SSD!!!
    All's well again and now I'm replacing software for the wife. You know what I mean. I love my wife.
    I thought this episode is what we are seeing reported by other users and what the bottom line can be.

2. 2018/06/26
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Windows 10 ... :rolleyes: ... designed to self destruct?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/06/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

Christer I figure there has to be an accident at some time with all the data being moved around during an update at extremely high speed.
    It's just that when it happens my ability to recover the MBR in this instance following the normal process would not work.
    As I said when trying to install the OS on a formatted SSD it took quite a lot of patience and I can appreciate how someone with less tolerance could really get worked up about it.

5. 2018/06/26
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

That's why I always do the updates the "Media Creation Tool to USB" way and off line to avoid additional downloads. On one occasion, Microsoft was quicker than I was and started the automatic downloading before I had time to do it "manually". I let it do the deed and that too went well but I considered myself lucky.