1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

0x80070035 - Network path not found...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by batsona, 2012/11/23.

1. 2012/11/23
    batsona

batsona Well-Known Member Thread Starter

All;

I've read alot about this error message, and all the documented fixes, but there's still a small group of people who always respond, "thanks, but that still didn't fix it..." (I'm one such person) BUT............... I have new info that hopefully the experts here can help me figure out, so we can fix this.

I believe that the error is somehow related to how you answer a particular question that win7 shows you, when you first build your system, or add an interface. --It's that dialog where it wants you to categorize your NIC as Public, Private, or "Work ". I picked "work" for my wireless interface on my work laptop that I just got. --I can map drives just fine. None of the w7 systems in my house can map drives anymore (to my server, on my LAN -- all same IP subnet -- no firewalls, no nothing.. not even local firewalls). I'm thinking that I picked "Private" for those NICs.

So, it seems that maybe when you pick "Private ", it kills the drive mapping ability, and when you pick 'Work', you can map drives just fine. I need a little help to perform my correlation. Can someone tell me, 1.) How to display the current 'location' setting for each NIC (Pub, Pri, Work) and 2.) How to cause w7 to 'forget' this setting so I can be prompted again & change the category from one to the other, to see if somehow this fixes the problem. I'd really love to map drives to my server; its how we transfer files between computers on my network.

Thanks!

2. 2012/11/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Open Network and Sharing Center > Click the name beneath "View your active networks" (it will say Home, Work or Public)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/11/24
    batsona

OP here: I tried changing the NIC classification -- I had high hopes, but it didn't have any positive impact unfortunately.

5. 2012/11/27
    batsona

It was suggested on another BBS, to check whether "HomeGroup Listener" was started or not. It's actually disabled on my work laptop (disabled whether I "m at work or at home). Mapping drives at work fails, but mapping them at home works fine. I'll keep trying. I'll post what works...

6. 2012/11/28
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You tried, or did you actually change it? You should change it to Home network.

Next click Change advanced sharing settings and on the Home or Work profile:

• Turn on network discovery
    • Turn on file and printer sharing
    • Public folder sharing: Turn on sharing....
    • Password protected sharing: Turn on....
    • HomeGroup connections: Use user accounts...

Read more here: How to Network Windows 7 With Other Windows Versions

Arie,
  7. 2012/12/03
    batsona

I just built a new w7 system at home, and replicated the problem, and can fix it, but the 'fix' doesn't work on my work laptop. I can map drives just fine with "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" service enabled. When I disabled it (I've always been taught that it's a security hazzard), I got the Network Path Not Found error. WinXP can map drives without that running, but it looks like w7 cannot.

Re-starting the service allows me to map drives again. I put the interface into "Work ", and made sure file/print sharing was enabled in that group.

BUT: I tried the same fix to my work laptop, and still got network Path Not Found. I'll keep looking.

8. 2012/12/11
    batsona

I'll see if I can experiment more this weekend. It would be nice if I could come up with some repeatable results that work on all windows7 machines. I've read about alot of people who have this same error message, and the problems are still unresolved.