Every 2 to 4 days (not consistant down to the hour) I lose the ability to resolve dns
. I am still connected to the internet, as I can send and receive e-mail, I can for example ping yahoo, microsoft, usatoday, etc. I can get a few websites, like my local bank, where I can log in and do anything I would normally do. However, IE7 (v 7.0.5730.11) will not display USAToday, Microsoft, Google or much of anything else. Neither will Firefox (v 22.214.171.124); my Intellicast weather applet loses its connection and my Yahoo widgets lose their connection.
I am on a Verizon DSL connection. There is nothing in the house using the line or trying to dial out (not that it should matter). At a command prompt, [ipconfig/all] reports a valid ip
address and valid DNS
servers. [ipconfig/release] then [/renew] doesn't help. [ipconfig/flushdns] successfully flushes the DNS
cache, but doesn't correct the issue. I have tried manually entering DNS
servers rather than leaving it on automatic and that hasn't helped. Turning off the DSL modem and resetting it doesn't help. Turning off the WinXP firewall doesn't help. Turning off NortonAV and worm protection and everything else doesn't help.
The only thing that always fixes it is a restart, (btw, since the re-install, it never shuts down or restarts the first time, I always have to do it twice
) where it will work fine for a few days then the same thing all over. This is driving me nuts. I did troubleshooting with Verizon for nearly an hour when they gave up and said the issue is mine.
My PC is (and always has been) on 24/7. This issue came up after a complete re-install of XP (to correct other issues).