A few months ago I posted asking "How can I make my speakers loud again?" as they had gone quite over a period of time!
Well here is the solution I found incase anyone is having the same trouble:
1) Unplug speakers
2) Right click on 'My Computer' icon and select 'Properties'
3) Click the 'Hardware' tab
4) Hit the button saying 'Device Manager'
5) Expand 'Sound, video and game controllers'
6) Now right click on your Audio Controller (for me it was called 'VIA AC'97 Enhance Audio Controller (WDM)')
7) Select 'Uninstall' and press ok at the warning
8) Turn off your PC and plug your speakers back in
9) Turn the PC on and it will reinstall your automaticly and you will have your mum telling you to turn the music down in seconds!
Please tell me if this was helpful and remember I did this on XP HOME.