1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

From 11 years of XP to 8.1

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by fdamp, 2015/05/01.

1. 2015/05/01
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

As I posted in a now "resolved" thread, I got my new lap-top with 8.1 a few days back. I am totally at sea! :eek:

I looked back in Quicken and found that I bought my desk-top box in 2004. It was near top of the line back then and I paid almost $1200 for it and a printer!

So far, I've managed to get the new machine not to force me into downloading a Google-based home page. At my son-in-law's suggestion, I got Classic Shell to try and make the transition easier. Knowing the new machine had no optical drive, he also found me a Samsung stand-alone external DVD reader/player at Goodwill. It was still sealed in the factory wrappings, never been opened and he paid $3.99 for it, compared to original retail of $69.99.

I'm now looking for a good user guide, preferably in book form rather than on-line, to assist me in the transition.

Can anyone suggest something? I've done a Google search, but most of what I've found seem to be advice to get from Win 7 to 8.1.

2. 2015/05/01
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/05/01
    fdamp

Thanks. Doc. We'll be in Bellingham later today, so I'll go look for the "Dummies" version at Barnes & Noble

5. 2015/05/01
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

6. 2015/05/02
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Frank, Good to see you've made the jump. I joined the 'Insider' for W10 Preview and the latest update was available for download yesterday.
    It took many hours so while that was happening I fired up my XP comp and played Freecell and Solitaire etc to while away the time.
    You notice the difference in speed between the machines when you select a program and this is being Posted using W10 Preview.
    You will I hope enjoy learning your way round W8.1 as Classic Shell can give you an XP or W7 start menu/program to work with.
    If you any problems I hope we can sort them for you. Neil.

7. 2015/05/02
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The jump from XP to Windows 7 took a big learning curve (I never migrated to Vista), I am sure jumping from XP to Windows 8.1 seems almost insurmountable. Classic Shell can sure help (I use Start8 which is similar).

While the performance between XP and W8.1 will be significant, more important is W8.1 is so much more secure. And it comes with the new Windows Defender and Windows Firewall to protect you right out of the box - a very good thing. And unless you participate in illegal activities, or you are click happy on unsolicited downloads, links, and attachments, they are all you need (besides keeping Windows current). That said, I do recommend an occasional scan with a supplemental scanner just to make sure you (the user is always the weakest link in security) or WD did not let something slip by, and I recommend Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware Free (MBAM) for that. And in fact, MBAM Premium (which includes real-time protection) is designed to work along side regular AV/AM scanners without causing problems or performance issues and is the one security program that costs money I don't hesitate to recommend for everyone.

Bill,
  8. 2015/05/24
    fdamp

I've downloaded Open Office, instead of spending the money on MS Office 2013. I might change my mind, but have the same question in either case.

How does one translate the dozens of ".doc" files generated in Word 2003 into either of other word processing programs? Can I just download them as data files and then ask the new WP program to save them and get them into its format or is there a specific procedure?

9. 2015/05/24
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Most of other word processing programs like Open Office, Libre Office can open & work with ".doc" files.

The problem comes when you create a new document. That is typically saved as the default file & not as ".doc" file. Change the preference to open a new file as doc and you should be good to go.

10. 2015/05/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Frank, why not go for the MS Word 2016 Preview which you can install and use for 178 days. Then it will be free through updates if you agree.
    Worth looking into. I've Downloaded and installed it on my W10 Preview HDD and it's looking easy to follow as it is similar to Word 2013 which I have on my W8.1 SSD. Neil.

11. 2015/05/25
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have Office 2003 installed on 2 different PC's with Win 8.1. Works very well. Not sure if you have Office or just the Word part. Try installing it. If you are giving up your XP with it on, it should work. MS might question it, but you can tell them that you don't have it on your XP anymore and they should be good with it.

12. 2015/05/25
    fdamp

Bill:

My issue is that folks we often exchange documents with send ".docx" format, which Word 03 can't read. Since funds are a bit stretched at the moment, I decided to get Open Office instead of MS Office 2013. I have no use for most of the stuff in MS Office, just Word and very occasionally Excel.

I'll just copy my ".doc" files over to the laptop and see how Open Office handles them.

Thanks for your help, as always.

13. 2015/05/25
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

14. 2015/05/26
    fdamp

First try, Open Office opened a ".doc" with a couple of tables. Only minor glitches - it's easily readable even without re-saving it.

Next trick is to write something and send it as an e-mail attachment to see how that works out.