1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

USB device not ready error

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by rikki, 2015/04/22.

1. 2015/04/22
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am trying to set up a Windows 8.1 computer. I am not familiar with the OS and have encountered a number of issues I do not understand. The latest seems bizarre even by Windows standards. If I plug a usb drive into the computer, it works normally. If I leave it plugged in and switch the computer off, when it is switched back on, Explorer sees the drive as it should, but if I try to click on anything, I get a response that the drive is not ready and then the explorer progress bar spends many minutes crawling to the right but nothing ever seems to happen. Yet if I simply unplug the drive and plug it back in, it immediately works and I can access any files.

I absolutely do not understand the sense or purpose of this but I just want to make Explorer behave the way it does in any other OS version. I want to be able to leave the usb drive connected and click on any file and have it immediately respond. Can anyone help me with this? There must be some setting that can be changed to prevent this behaviour.

2. 2015/04/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi rikki, What is the USB drive that you leave plugged in? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/04/23
    rikki

What do you mean? It's just an external usb drive I'm using for extra storage. Around 300 mb I suppose. Every time I try to click on a file, I get this bloody Windows 'progress' indicator creeping across the screen and nothing ever happens. If I unplug it and replug it the files are immediately available. I have never had this with any earlier Windows version and I just want to get rid of it with this one. I saw something about it possibly being connected to some power-saving feature and I made the recommended registry changes but it didn't make any difference. I just want to turn whatever is causing this off. I don't want any smart/automatic/drive checking features enabled. I just want to be able to click on a file and have it respond the way it is supposed to.

5. 2015/04/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have a look in Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Expand USB Settings > Expand USB Selective Suspend Settings > click on Setting and you can Enable or Disable.
    Save and OK out. Neil.

rikki likes this.
  6. 2015/04/23
    rikki

Thank you so much for that. It looks like this could be the answer. Not knowing much about 8.1 is a real handicap with this sort of thing. I will check it later and mark this resolved if it is still okay.