1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to get Administrator privileges

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Jack57, 2015/04/05.

1. 2015/04/05
    Jack57

Jack57 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Windows 8.1. Got a new laptop for my wife a few months ago. recently Malwarebytes has been trying to update but the computer says she has to log in as Administrator. I have tried searching all the suggested fixes to try to get an Admin account but it seems I run into a problem because it always comes to a point if trying to change the account to Admin or to try a CMD prompt it require a sign in as Admin to change anything. No Admin account has ever been enabled. I guess the simple question is how do I enable an Admin account on a new laptop? Thanks, Jack

2. 2015/04/05
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Jack57. Try following the instructions here, Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or Vista.

Then once logged into the built in administrator account, open Command Prompt as an administrator and type net localgroup administrators {youraccountname} /add

Note: {youraccountname} is your account name without the brackets

I find it strange that you are not an administrator since on every new install of Windows the first user account that is created is by default an administrator account.

Are you using a Microsoft Account? Are there any other user accounts on the machine?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/04/05
    Jack57

Just tried the suggested fix and when I select open Command Prompt as Administrator a box pops up asking me "to continue , type an administrator password then click yes" but no where to type a password and yes is greyed out. My wife set up a local account for her since it's her computer and I don't have the information she used and she doesn't remember.

5. 2015/04/05
    Evan Omo

So there is another user account on the machine?

If so then you will need to login to the other user profile and make your account an administrator.

If your wife's account requires a password to login and you don't know what the password is then we can't help you with password recovery issues on this forum.

6. 2015/04/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Jack57, sounds like your wife and mine suffer the same problem. This link is the MS Support for lost password for User account:
    What to do if you forget your Windows password

Bottom line - you may have to re-install W8.1 OS. Best of luck Neil.

7. 2015/04/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Try reinstalling Malwarebytes. During the install there is a checkbox re All users.

8. 2015/04/06
    Jack57

More information. When the computer boots up a screen displays "Other User" and "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again ". A box below says OK. We click OK and a new screen comes up with "Other User ",My wife's name in a box and below that is a place to enter her password, which when entered boots up windows. One more thing, the second screen that comes up has a place below the box to enter her password that says "Reset Password ", "Sign-in options" and has two boxes displayed below that with a key icon in each box. When the computer boots to Windows her local e-mail address shows so I assume it's not a Microsoft account. I would take the advice to reinstall Malwarebytes but the wife wants "Open Office" and other programs also. Thanks for hanging in with me, Jack

9. 2015/04/07
    Evan Omo

So if you can login with the other user account, have you been able to change the password of the other account that wasn't working?

10. 2015/04/07
    Jack57

Haven't tried to do that. I will as soon as computer is available. As I said it belongs to my wife who is doing some medical things on it right now and could be busy on it for several more hours. I'll get back with info as soon as I can.

11. 2015/04/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

If when logging it an email address is shown then it's not a local account. You will need a local account to setup users and change behavior of Malwarebytes.

12. 2015/04/16
    Jack57

Sorry about the delay. Wife is in the middle of some medical problems. Will try to get to laptop soon.

13. 2015/04/28
    Jack57

I guess this is solved. I went to work on the problem last night and the computer was not there. My wife gave the computer to a friend to take it to a computer repair place. The lady told her she could get it fixed for nothing since the owner is a friend of hers. I'll try to find out what was done to correct the problem and report back. Thanks for the help. Jack

14. 2015/04/28
    Evan Omo

Thanks for the update. :)

15. 2015/05/02
    Jack57

Final update. Got the computer back and the tech said his best guess is that a bogus update or offer to check your computer was clicked on, which enabled a takeover of the admin account. He reloaded windows and saved all settings on a flash drive and reloaded them also. Free repair was not free. He did a good job so I really didn't mind paying him and the main thing is the wife is happy. Thanks, Jack