1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Trouble Getting to Login Screen at Bootup

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by wjburl, 2015/03/24.

1. 2015/03/24
    wjburl

wjburl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Today when I did a restart on my Windows 8.1 desktop, it seemed to boot OK, but I couldn't get to my login screen. There was not cursor on the screen and no response from the keyboard. Both are USB, so I unplugged them and plugged them in again. No success. I did a restore image. I do an image save of the C: drive once a week with Reflect. It did the same thing. I have rebooted successfully since the last image save. I used another computer to search for someone who might have had a similar problem. While searching, I noticed that the screen had turned off. I have it set to turn off after 10 minutes of no activity. I moved the mouse and up came the login screen. The mouse and keyboard are working well, but if I reboot, I have to go through the same procedure. I will try to reduce the number of programs that start automatically at boot.

2. 2015/03/24
    wjburl

wjburl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Problem solved. there was an error listed in the Event Log that indicated that there was an error accessing a drive. I was an old SSD that I put into a USB enclosure to transfer some files. It is only a 32GB drive, but at the time I acquired it, that was a typical capacity for SSDs. I removed the drive and the system is booting fine.

3. to hide this advert.