1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

accessed file dates (created, modified, accessed)

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by rusty2, 2014/12/16.

1. 2014/12/16
    rusty2

rusty2 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. I'm interested in seeing when a file was last accessed. I just checked my Windows 8 computer. If I right click a photo and then click properties, sometimes it shows the date of last access and sometimes it shows today's date even if I haven't opened the file. I'm trying to understand this as well as learn what to do so it gives the last time the file was opened and not just when it was right clicked.

2. 2014/12/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You should get the info you require in File Explorer by right clicking in any of the headers. e.g. Name and checking Date Created, Date Modified & Date Accessed. Having done that new columns will be present in File Explorer giving that info.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/12/16
    rusty2

rusty2 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Many thanks for your quick reply. Although I learned a bit about File Explorer, the dates are not correct. I opened one file in a folder and it changed every file in that folder to today.

5. 2014/12/17
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It depends on the folder and file. Just because YOU don't access a file, that does not mean Windows or one of your apps didn't.

Also, there is a difference between Date Accessed and Date Modified.

Bill,