1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Error 651 - The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error]

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Beach Boy, 2014/10/30.

1. 2014/10/30
    Beach Boy

Beach Boy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

About the end of September this year, I found that I could no longer receive emails via my ISP email address. And every time I would go to the Network Connections page to check it out, filling out my user name and password, the following note would come up: "Error connecting to [my email address supplied by my ISP]. Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error." I find this very puzzling as from December last year when I purchased this new laptop, this email address has worked very well!

In checking the Microsoft Community Forum, I notice that there are many persons who also have Windows 8.1 are having this very same problem, and all the remedies that are given don't seem to work. I did not try any of them as a large number of persons who tried all of them said that none of them resolved this problem. Would be very helpful if anyone here has a remedy for this error. Thanking you..

beach boy

2. 2014/10/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2014/10/30

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/31
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you tried fetching your email with a different computer?

Bill,
  5. 2014/10/31
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

New Antivirus came with that laptop? Check the settings e-mail/firewall.

Other options are:

Arie,
  6. 2014/10/31
    Beach Boy

-Ok Retiredlearner, in trying the first link, it mentioned about uninstalling the ISDN driver, etc. I know nothing about ISDN driver so I Googled it and ended up installing a program called DriverDoc which claimed they can check all the required drivers and uninstall bad ones and install the good ones. Well the scanning and installing etc, took about 2 hours... it found 9 drivers that were bad. Unfortunately that program did not help with the Network Connection problem, so I shall try the other link and check the other messages. Thanks for your help..

7. 2014/10/31
    Beach Boy

Yes I tried getting emails on my old Vista Home basic laptop which I was planning on dumping... but it receives emails well. And the strange thing is that I have never been able to access Microsoft Community on this laptop with Windows 8.1. Whenever I try to sign in, nothing happens. so I would click on "Ask a question" which seems to be like trying to sign in... then the whole screen would jump a bit unsteadily and the HTTP link would shake a few seconds and a note would come up saying they are sorry but something went wrong and they could not sign me in but to try again later. That has been acting like that since last year December. And on my old Vista laptop I can sign in to Microsoft Community without any problem at all!

8. 2014/10/31
    Beach Boy

Thanks Arie, have not gotten around to checking email and firewall settings yet. I am googling how to uninstall and reinstall modem, and install latest modem driver in Win 8.1. I reset the TCP/IP, but that did not help.

9. 2014/11/01
    Bill

Since it works with a different computer, you have verified the problem is not your network, or Internet access (assuming both computer access your network the same way).

You should not have to install a modem driver. You are not connecting to the modem, you are connecting to your router (which does not need "router drivers) which then connects to the modem (even if in the same box). And since you can get out with the Vista notebook, we already know the router to modem to Internet connection works.

Bill,
  10. 2014/11/01
    Beach Boy

Error 651

Well Bill, I am still wondering what is causing the error and how to correct it. I don't have a router, but I think you are saying that a router is a part of the modem? I am using the same modem I have been using for years which is supplied by my ISP. My ISP told me that they had been having problems but they have been corrected and they don't see anything wrong with my email connection. As I have said, I have seen so many people having the very same problem who are using windows 8.1, it seems to be some kind of Microsoft problem. Thanks for your help..

11. 2014/11/02
    Bill

If your modem has connections for more than one computer, then it has an integrated router (and an integrated Ethernet switch too). These are discreet network devices that just happen to share the same circuit board, power supply and case. It is like motherboards today that have integrated sound cards and network interface cards. They are separate devices - on the same board.

But that is like saying you have seen many 2007 Honda Accord owners whose cars would not start. At this point, you don't know if the real problem is the battery is dead. Or the starter has failed, if it is out of gas, spark plugs fouled, ignition relay failed, the engine itself, etc.

And for sure, there are 2006 and 2010 Hondas that won't start today too.

I am not saying W8.1 is not the problem. I am just saying we have not ruled out other issues. If you were using W8.0 and it worked, then installed W8.1 and it stopped working, then you might safely blame 8.1 (if the HW maker said the same drivers are compatible). But typically, if it was 8.1, there would be millions and millions of users with the same problem - and with all brands of modems, not just yours.

Remember, the OS communicates using "industry standard" protocols to the port. It is up to the hardware makers to develop drivers that are compatible with those same protocols.

I think you should follow Arie's advice and see where that takes us.

12. 2014/11/02
    retiredlearner

Hi Beach Boy,
    With W8.1 > Start > Control Panel > Networking and Sharing Center > Did you use > Trouble Shoot Problems?
    This opens a Menu which gives you many points to Test and Resolve problems. eg. Internet Connections, Shared Folders, Homegroup, Network Adapter and Incoming Connections.
    Using any of these areas - you don't need to enter Username or Password.
    The only time you get asked for those details is Dialup Modems. :confused: Neil.

13. 2014/11/02
    Beach Boy

Yes, I have done this a number of times.

14. 2014/11/02
    Beach Boy

Well Bill, I think I am going to give up on trying to correct this issue. I have spent way, way too many hours trying to find a remedy since the end of September when this error first started. I even considered doing a system restore to about September 25, but seems that I can do system restores for the month of October ONLY in Win 8.1. Early this morning (Nov 2) I sent a message re this error to the store from which I bought the laptop, and to DriverDoc as well from whom I purchased the driver program. Considering the large number of persons who have reported the very same problem on the various Microsoft forums, I won't be the least surprised if I don't receive a solution from these 2 companies. Will advise their take, if any.

I spent about 5 hours looking at the Firewall settings and I don't have a clue what to do in that area. I saw a note which says that Windows has the Firewall already set to a default setting.

beach boy

15. 2014/11/03
    retiredlearner

Beach Boy, are you on a Dialup Modem?
    If you used the Trouble Shoot - what did it tell you were the problems?
    Have you run Chkdisk or sfc /scannow?
    Next would be an OS Repair. Neil.

16. 2014/11/03
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I have also seen mention that this error can also happen because of wrong configuration in your modem settings. In you modem configuration you have to enable the multiple device sharing option. This settings will be usually done by the internet service provider (ISP) with our system.

Call your ISP about it or give us more details about your connection & the router/modem used.

17. 2014/11/03
    Beach Boy

The following is the last letter I sent to my ISP regarding this issue. It was dated Oct 15. The modem is a Toshiba Cable Modem (the number PCX2600 is written under Toshiba). Its a normal broadband modem... I don't use a router. It was supplied by my ISP some years ago. The ONLY answer I got to this letter was that the ISP system was working and they saw nothing wrong with my internet connection. Dear Mr Roker,

I received your email re the Email Issues I am having. Your message came on the Coral Wave Web Mail account page, and when I was just about finished answering you, suddenly Web Mail closed, and I signed onto it again but could not find the message. Hence I am re-writing it using a different email address, plus the usual Windows 8 email page which I prefer.

Here is the situation: Sometime in December last year when I bought this laptop with Windows 8 installed I got info from your company as to how to set up the email account and it worked perfectly until around the end of September (last month). So anytime I receive emails sent to demos@coralwave.com they would automatically go to your Web Mail account which I don’t particularly like to happen as I usually find it difficult to answer them from there.

So I tried to set up demos@coralwave.com a number of times so that my emails would again come on the page which seem to be designed by Windows 8 to receive them. And whenever I do that and after clicking Connect, I can’t get it to connect, but the following note would come up in red: “We still can't find settings for demos@coralwave.com. Providing this additional info may help. If you don't know this information, search online or check with your provider.”

I hope this info helps to resolve this situation and allow me to receive emails the normal way, not via Web Mail. Thank You..

18. 2014/11/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Workaround
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
    To work around this issue, follow these steps:
    1. Press the Windows logo Key+R to open the Run box.
    2. Type regedit in the Run box, and then press Enter.
    3. Locate and then select the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\<Device number>\Linkage
      Note In this subkey, <Device number> is a placeholder for a 4-digit number that represents the ISDN device.
    4. Right-click UpperBind, and then click Modify.
    5. In the Value data box, type NdiscoWan, and then click OK.
    6. Exit Registry Editor.

19. 2014/11/28
    Beach Boy

Thanks Lj50. I am really at a loss as to how to do this, seeing that there are so many issues with Windows 8 and 8.1 which no one knows how to successfully resolve. I mean on all of the Microsoft forums there are hundreds of questions for which persons using these 2 programs cannot get any answers. I have used up so much precious time trying to resolve this 651 error problem, and because of my very limited knowledge of computers I feel very leery of doing adjustments to the registry.

Do you know of any instances where your suggestion has worked to solve the 651 error in Windows 8 or 8.1?

20. 2014/11/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That registry workaround is from retiredlearner's Microsoft link in his first post on this thread. https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2716537/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0 If you back up your registry and follow the instructions you shouldn't have a problem. You could have a friend who's familiar with the registry do it. I didn't have your problem so I can't say if will work or not.

Last edited: 2014/11/28
  21. 2014/11/30
    Beach Boy

Tks again Lj50, will give it a try..