1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How do I convert an .rtf file to .jpg, .png, .gif or other image extension

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Nuts4Mutts, 2014/07/04.

1. 2014/07/04
    Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Inactive Thread Starter

Hi! "Happy Independence Day "!!!
    I'm trying to avoid posting a poem, (in an .rtf file), on Facebook, but I want to post it on Photobucket or Tinypic so my friends can read it. I tried unsuccessfully to upload it, but neither site takes an .rtf file.
    Is there a way to convert the .rtf extension to an image file...like.jpg, & if so, will you please explain the procedure to me?
    If there's another way to accomplish this, I'm open to any suggestions.
    Please use LOTS of details, as I'm not very technically inclined.
    Thanks for reading my post!
    Gratefully,
    Nuts4Mutts :)

2. 2014/07/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Nuts4Mutts likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/04
    Nuts4Mutts

Thanks PeteC!
    I'll check it out. Am I to assume that changing this type of file extension can only be done by using a Program? Isn't there a way, within Windows OS, to do it?
    Thanks again! :)

5. 2014/07/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Not directly AFAIK - you have a text file which is an entirely different format to an image file.

A solution would be to print out the .rtf and then scan it to jpeg - assuming that you have a flat bed scanner of course :)

6. 2014/07/04
    ThomasJK

ThomasJK Well-Known Member

Hi Nutts4Mutts,

Is that .rtf document of yours multiple pages, or does it fit on one page, if its a poem?
    If it fits entirely on your screen, you could try pressing ctrl + Print Screen, start MS Paint, and right click, paste it on Paint, then you can edit it, and save it as .jpg .png .gif.
    That can be done within Windows OS, but wont work if the file is multiple pages, and I'm not quite sure if the quality of the picture will be satisfactory.

7. 2014/07/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Following on from the above post your best bet is to use the Snipping Tool, part of the OS.

8. 2014/07/05
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

No fair with PeteC living on GMT +1 (and 6 hours ahead of me) or I would have suggested the Snipping Tool too. It's already in Windows and works great.

Of course with Mutts starting out with "Happy Independence Day ", I guess I'll cut Pete some slack! ;)

The problem here is you are trying to convert a "text" document into an "image" document. Operating systems handle text differently than images (especially if compression is enabled) so this is a whole different ball game than converting from one image format to another image format. This is why the scanner option makes sense - a scanner basically takes a picture of the text.

But the vast majority of home-type scanners (or all-in-ones) don't do a great job at preserving image "quality ". That takes a very expensive professional grade scanner. So the Snipping Tool "captures" what you see on your monitor and converts that to an image file you can then upload to Photobucket.

Bill,
  9. 2014/07/05
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi!
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had already taken a screenshot & tried uploading the poem before I posted here, because I had 2 problems...the first was that neither of the 2 sites I wanted to use accepted .rtf, .txt, .doc, etc...they only accept image files, (drat!). The other problem was I couldn't fit the entire poem in the screenshot. I'm sure there's a better way to do it than the way I did!! I typed it in the desired font & color & emailed it to myself, then opened the email & took the screenshot, but I couldn't get the whole thing in one shot. Please don't laugh...I'm not familiar with these procedures; I'm just a browser, emailer & gameplayer! LOL I'm sure there MUST be a better way to type my poem & get it in an acceptable format, but I don't have the foggiest idea how to do it.
    For my future knowledge, how can I overcome this problem? I downloaded 2 different ".rtf to image" converter programs, but there were no instructions & since I'm not very tech-savvy I couldn't figure out how to get them to do the job. As much as I hated to do it, I ended up posting it on Facebook, as it had significance for our 4th of July Holiday.
    When you're done laughing, will someone please tell me how I should do this correctly?
    Thanks again for your suggestions..I really appreciate your help.

10. 2014/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

One way in which you could do this 'correctly' ....

Type your text so that it fits on one sheet - choose margins and a font size and line spacing to achieve this. I used Word.

In Word under the View menu select One Page - the full page will be shown on the screen. If your text of necessity covers 2 pages select Two Pages.

Use the Snipping Tool to make a rectangular snip enclosing all the text. Save as jpeg.

Go to the Start Button and type Paint into the Search box - Paint will show under Programs in the Search results.

Click on Paint to open the program.

Click on the dropdown list of the first icon in the tabs bar and then on Open. In the Explorer type Window which opens navigate to your snip and double click on it in to open in Paint.

In the ribbon bar across the top of the Paint window click on Resize. In the dialogue box which opens select pixels and enter 768 in the Vertical box. Make sure that Maintain Aspect Ratio is checked and hit OK. The image is resized.

Note if the image is 2 pages set the width to 1024 pixels

Click again on the dropdown list of the first icon in the tabs bar and then on Save As and save as 'resized' - anything but the original file name to prevent that being overwritten.

I don't 'do' Social Media, but that jpeg should fit on any of their screens.

If you don't use Word post what you do use and I''ll see if the above can be done in that.

11. 2014/07/06
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Again, PeteC!
    Thanks for hanging in with me on this...I appreciate it. I've used a PC since 1999 & I can email, browse, research & play games with the best of them; BUT...(please don't laugh), I've never used Word. The only other PC things I know how to do are take screenshots & then Paste them in Paint & save the images in folders if I need to keep them. I don't know the first thing about any of the 'office-type' programs in Windows, but after reading your excellent description, I think I'd better start learning to use it! It looks like I would've been able to create a file with an extension that Photobucket & tinypic would've accepted. (They're much more agreeable to me than FB; especially Photobucket).
    I'm with you as far as 'social media'...I avoid it like the plague, but I do go to FB to see stuff that my friends & family have posted. It kind of creeps me out that so many feel the need to 'follow & be followed' by everyone they've ever known! What they don't understand is that they're also followed by lots of people they don't know...& that's what can be dangerous. I savor my Privacy & don't have the need to have 'virtual' friends; luckily I have enough 'real' ones! But everyone's different.
    What's the best way to get started using Word? I guess that's what professional poets use to do their work...then there's me, who writes her poem in her email program. Looks like I better start using Word, for sure!
    Thanks Again!
    Best Regards,

12. 2014/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Do you have Word installed? Which version - 2003, 2007, 2010 ....

In Windows 8 Word will be shown on the Start Screen if it is installed.