1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

File system in win8

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by FuzMic, 2013/12/02.

1. 2013/12/02
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi guys

Hope to get some fast answers to what's underneath win8 as compared to win7. Some questions may look stupid because i have not got my hands on to Win8, plus i did not read enough but start asking dumb questions here.

1. Are there .lnk in the User > Desktop folder, if so how are they different.
    2. There are two Program Files folders one for 32 bit and other 64 bit in win7, is this the same in win 8.
    3. What application starts the "start screen" and what get it back to the desktop, is the latter by explorer?
    4. Are the Apps in the start screen all found in the Program Files folder? How are they different from win7 .exe files.

2. 2013/12/02
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi FuzMic, I'm not experienced enough to probably answer your questions in full, but #2 - Under Admin Tools:ODBC data sources (32 bit) and ODBC data sources (64 bit)
    APPS show in HKEY_Local_Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version.

I'm still learning my way round W8.1 and I've installed "Classic Shell" which gives me a W7 approach and I find it easier to get to where I want. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/12/03
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You would probably do better to just search with Bing Google. That said, a .lnk file is a .lnk file. If you put a shortcut there, it will be there.

Yes, there is a program files folder for both 32 and 64-bit same as W7.

Like many, I personally don't like Windows 8/8.1 "Start Screen ", formally called the Metro UI. Many folks use Classic Shell as suggested by retiredlearner, but I prefer Start8 to bring back the W7 Start Orb and boot directly to the traditional Windows Desktop instead of the (Metro) Start Screen. Start8 is not free like CS but for just $5, it's well worth it.

For an excellent comparison you might want to read Start8 vs. Classic Shell.

Bill,
  5. 2013/12/03
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Bill, Have you tried Classic Shell Version 4.0.2?

Your comparison link is the version 3.6.?
    This latest version is quite an improvement on earlier ones. Neil.

6. 2013/12/04
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

If you have 64-bit Windows 8, yes, you'll have
    • \Program Files
    • \Program Files (x86)

Arie,
  7. 2013/12/04
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I tried 4.0.0 when it was released. It is nice and I have no complaints - but then I really had no complaints with the previous version either - other than it has way more features (some would say bloat) than I need, or want. I only need and want the return of the Start button/menu, and be able to boot directly to the desktop. Start8 does that flawlessly, without extra fluff (or bloat). And it is simple to set up (though, admittedly CS is not hard either). So for me, I still like and recommend Start8. If they charged $30, I would not hesitate to recommend CS over S8. But $5 for a polished product, I still consider Start8 a worthwhile bargain.

Good point! That's a big "if" - though for sure and by far, more 64-bit licenses are being sold. In any case you would not have both folders with the 32-bit version.

Bill,
  8. 2013/12/08
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks guys

From YTube I learning more about W8 day by day. My general feeling now is with new extras such as Apps, Metro plus backward compatibility especially on office, it think i need to get hands on to really know.