1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

win8.1 upgrade and router

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by SVEN, 2013/11/02.

1. 2013/11/02
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I’m not exactly sure where this should go, so feel free to move it to the appropriate forum, thanks.
    My wife has a Toshiba laptop that came with win8 installed and was working fine. I installed software supplied by Belkin to get her access to the printer that is connected to the USB port. Was working fine also until she installed win8.1 upgrade offered by MS. Also not working was Windows live mail, but I fixed that by going to programs and clicked on fix. This does not work on the "Belkin USB print and storage center" I have uninstalled and re-installed several times, but no luck.
    When windows starts up it gives me an error pop up telling me: Belkin USB print and storage center, a system error occurred.
    No error number or anything, just a system error with the yellow triangle. Also, a setup screen comes up and wants ne to input the network name and password, but it can never log on to the router.
    My wife has internet access and can get her mail, but cannot print anything.
    Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks
    Sven

SVEN,
  2. 2013/11/02
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Does Belkin have updated software for this product since Windows 8.1 came out?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/11/02
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

Last edited: 2013/11/02
  5. 2013/11/02
    SVEN

Thanks for your replay,
    I just came from the Belkin site and it appears that I am not the only one with that problem.
    As of now there is no real fix, just suggestion like update the firmware and reinstall the software.
    I have the latest firmware on my router and I have reinstalled several times. I guess I just have to wait till they come out with the software fix. In the meantime I will not update any more of my win8 computers to 8.1 my wife will have to just save the file and I will print it from my computer.

Thanks again
    Sven

SVEN,
  6. 2013/11/02
    SVEN

Hi all,
    I went back to the Belkin web site, and found the below suggestion that worked for me.
    Hope this will help someone else:
    In Windows' Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), the SXUPTP driver was showing as disabled. Windows gave a warning that the device was known to have stability issues. I found out that SXUPTP is a driver from a company called Silex. Silex makes network USB hubs, so I assume that the Belkin hub is a rebranded Silex hub.

In order to update the Silex driver follow these steps:
    1. Close the Belkin network hub's tray application.
    2. Download the latest version of SX Virtual Link (sx-virtual_link_win_3120.zip).
    3. Extract all of the files.
    4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to sx-virtual_link_win_3120\s-33a3120\Files\Bin\Sxcsapi\WinVistaX64 if you are running a 64 bit OS, or sx-virtual_link_win_3120\s-33a3120\Files\Bin\Sxcsapi\WinVista if you are running a 32 bit OS.
    5. Right-click on "Sxuptp.inf" and select "Install" from the menu.

The driver will be installed and the warning icon in the device manager should disappear. You may need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

Regards
    Sven

SVEN,
    Alpha_and_Omega likes this.