1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Critical ID41 Task 63

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by pccoach, 2013/08/08.

1. 2013/08/08
    pccoach Lifetime Subscription

pccoach Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi
    I read another post that was expired about ID41 that mentioned PSU as possible issue.
    Am having random ID41 task 63 system shutdowns on a brand new HP 4th gen i7 (windows8) with 2GB dedicated graphics. The strangest thing is the old computer that I had (also an HP) did the same thing (old computer win7 ultimate). My husband thought maybe the router was related but not sure how. My husband had the same error on his machine (Gateway win7). The way I got it to stop on the old machine was to eliminate the IP6 setting in the network card. Took out network ip6 setting and shutdowns stopped. Really did not want to troubleshoot brand new system. Any ideas? Router is wrt610n and firmware is up to date. thank you. :confused:

2. 2013/08/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi pccoach, I did a bit of Googling and there seems to be quite a lot of people suffering your problem, funnily with some new or recently newly built computers.

As you said, PSU's were the cause with some but one guy had SSD (Solid State) hard drive and he fixed his by updating the firmware to the latest.

Others have had Graphics driver incompatible with W7/8. Have you tried setting Default settings in the BIOS? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/08/08

this computer has error messages before the date I purchased it. my old computer was deemed a lemon but it still limped along for 3 years. this is a week old...at least in my possession. To answer your question I haven't tried that. I appreciate the suggestion and may do that tomorrow. What I really want to do is use a B(%*$&*H on it with B meaning big and H meaning hammer.

5. 2013/08/09
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I would return it for a refund. Build your own PC, or have a friend build you one.

OEM PC's are build to price, not to quality.

Arie,
  6. 2013/08/09
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

From what I've read, people tend to think the CPU is causing this issue, but it's not. The shutdown results from an over-voltage. This can be due to several causes:

1. power plan settings
    2. video memory (video drivers/software)
    3. bios settings for system memory or other hardware
    4. other unknown device.

For (1), adjust the power settings, e.g. disable hybernation (it's buggy anyway), ley hard drives always on, etc.

For (2), update the video drivers to latest version from the card manufacturer, never use hardware drivers from Windows update.

For (3), check bios settings for power off events to zero in on the hardware/software issue, i.e. cheap low quality RAM can cause problems.

IP6 should have no effect re this issue, but if it does, it does not hurt to disable IP6 completely.

Do so by going to:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > disable the IP Helper service.

Then open Network & Sharing Center > on left open Change adapter settings > rt click the network adapter > select Properties > uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IP6).

IP6 is not really used yet on the WAN, but it is sometimes used for Homegroup connections, but isn't necessary. I always disable it on systems I setup.

The router is not at fault here, it cannot cause a computer to shutdown.

What doesn't add up to me is that you had this issue with an HP and then bought another HP.

7. 2013/08/09
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

My exact same thoughts Tony! :eek:

Arie,
  8. 2013/08/09

I agree with both options Arie. First definitely returning the computer today. Then will figure out next step. thank you!

9. 2013/08/09

Tony T
    Thank you for all of the information! and LOL...you're right why did I buy another HP? I guess because in all brands there are lemons but not every one! At any rate, thank you both for all of the feedback. I knew years ago this was the place for quality insight on PC issues which is why I chose to become a lifetime subscriber! thank you again!

10. 2013/08/09

oh...I had disabled hibernation and the problem seemed to worsen. pretty soon this hunk of metal will be a mfr return.
    The good news having a machine built I will be able to install Win7. not a big fan of Win8. Will mark this as solved...thank you again.

Last edited: 2013/08/09