1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 8 sound scheme

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Nick Wright, 2013/02/19.

1. 2013/02/19
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive Thread Starter

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I change the windows 8 sound theme and point me towards some good sources?

I saw the same question in the microsoft forum and the answer the moderator gave deserves repeating. :-
    He said...

"This is a design change. Copy the schema from Windwos 7 to Windows 8 does not work.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. "

so in other words "Win 7 schemes don`t work, (Tough!) thanks for the feedback ".

Is this true? are we stuck with the default scheme?

(I know we can change individual files and save a NEW scheme but are there any complete ones I can download and try?)

Last edited: 2013/02/19
  2. 2013/02/19
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Makes sense. Windows 8 sound scheme is completely different from Windows 7, so you can't use a Windows 7 Sound Scheme in Windows 8.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/02/19
    Nick Wright

So there are NO win 8 sound schemes apart from default?

5. 2013/02/19
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

6. 2013/02/19
    Nick Wright

Thank you !!
    I wonder why the mod did not mention these?

I can go play now :)

Edit:-Aaaah!-- just a small point - these are or seem to be background themes - Can you not get purely sound themes for system noises - I don`t want the images as I`m quite happy with my own library pictures.

is there nowhere that just lists sound themes?

Edit:- What I mean is the sound scheme you can see listed under sounds in control panel for actual system sounds. When you load a theme (one that includes sounds- not all do), from your list it does add it to the list but you have to edit the images to get your own chosen background images back.

I can see how to achieve what I want but its a work-around and means downloading images I don`t really want.

Last edited: 2013/02/19
  7. 2013/02/19
    Nick Wright

O.K. - I`ve discovered how to achieve what I wanted.
    its a convoluted method but until I discover where the sound schemes are stored in windows , it will do.

The problem was that I wanted to have a choice of sounds without the associated images.
    The link is great ,(thanks) but in order to get just the sounds "on tap" you have to

1. download and open the scheme complete with images.
    2. close the personalisation window.
    3. open control panel>sounds where you will find the scheme listed under sounds.

Now the problem is that when you download a new theme, that sound scheme thats listed in control panel disappears
    and you are left with just the current theme and the default.
    so you have to

4. SAVE the sound theme again renaming it - I just added "sound Theme" to each one and then close the control panel.

then when you repeat the process, your saved copy remains and is not wiped.

After you have a good selection and you are happy with your choice, you can change the background images
    to your own choice again, and now you have the option of JUST changing the system sounds.

see image:-

[​IMG]