1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win 8 Pro, Client Hyper-V

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by dennisneff, 2013/01/25.

1. 2013/01/25
    dennisneff

dennisneff Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I checked out a comparison chart between Win 8 & Win 8 Pro http://thecustomizewindows.com/2012/04/windows-8-edition-comparison-and-criticisms/ , then I went to http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-exactly-do-you-get-with-windows-8-pro/4817 to see exactly what these differences were.

If I'm not reading this wrong, it is saying that the Client Hyper-V feature on Win 8 Pro allows you to run any 32 or 64-bit program on Windows 8 Pro.

Does this mean that I can install and run any of the programs I'm currently running on XP-Home on Win 8 Pro? I didn't think you could do that. TIA

Dennis

2. 2013/01/25
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

The majority of programs should run on Win 8. BUT, you can't upgrade from XP to 8... You'll have to reinstall everything.

You can get a copy of the Win 8 advisor and let it scan the the XP machine.

dennisneff likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/01/25
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Note that (like the Server software on which it is based) Client Hyper-V only runs on 64-bit PCs that are running the 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro (or Enterprise).

It also requires modern Intel and AMD microprocessors that include Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) technologies.

You can of course run most 32 & 64 bit programs on Widows 8 anyway.

If you think you need to run Virtual Windows XP you'll need a licensed copy of Windows XP to install in a VM.

Arie,
    dennisneff likes this.
  5. 2013/01/25
    dennisneff

dennisneff Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you Steve & Arie,

I'll stick with vanilla Windows 8. Going to Pro wouldn't be worth while considering my usage.

Arie, you mentioned using Office Outlook rather than WLM. I tried to find out about Office Outlook, adaptability to Win 8 and how much it would cost, on Google and drew a blank.
    Would you happen to know where I could find out about it? TIA

Dennis

6. 2013/01/25
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Yes, see Buy Microsoft Office 2010

Scroll down the page, there's a link for Outlook 2010 ($139) so it may be cheaper to get a copy of Office Home and Student @ $120 for 1 PC or $150 for up to 3 PCs in a single household.

Arie,
    dennisneff likes this.