1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Missing the Start Menu in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Arie, 2013/01/07.

1. 2013/01/07
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

In the Windows 8 Developer Preview, Microsoft had a registry setting that allowed you to switch off Windows 8 'Metro' Start screen. This would also enable the 'classic' Windows 7 Start menu. Microsoft took this option away in the Consumer Preview and has not added that simple trick back to the release version of Windows 8, so what do we do now?

Read HelpWithWindows Article

Arie,
  2. 2013/01/07
    Bursley

Bursley Well-Known Member Alumni

Very good options for putting a start menu back in place where it should be. I wouldn't mind talking to the executive at Microsoft that made the decision to remove the start menu and replace it with the start screen instead. My personal belief is that with the Enterprise desktop, users will still want to the classic start menu in some cases, i.e. virtual desktop, remote desktop services, etc.
    Windows 2012 uses the same start screen, and I can't figure out why Microsoft would use such an interface on a server. I tend to believe that there plan is to push the user base to a no-GUI server option, and use PowerShell and remote tools from a client to manage the server.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/01/07
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That would have been Steven Sinofsky. He left shortly after the release of Windows 8.

5. 2013/01/07
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Exactly... and you couldn't 'talk' to him. It was always his way or the highway. Been there....

6. 2013/01/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Good article.
    May need to be updated though because not all of the Programs's shortcuts are in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows. That dir is sort of like the old All Users/Start Menu. There is also a Start menu at <user>/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu which contains some items not in the ProgramData path.

This is because not all software that gets installed is available to all users, esp software that requires admin privileges.

7. 2013/01/07
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

I'll just add a note to that effect. That first page is only meant to 'work with what we have', page 2 & 3 review Start menu replacements.

Arie,