1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win 8 embedded key

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by washton, 2012/12/07.

1. 2012/12/07
    washton

washton Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My existing main win 7 HDD (#1) was cloned to another Win 7 HDD (#2). My objective is to install/upgrade Win 8 to the clone #2 to try out, yet still have the option to re-connect Win 7 #1 (only) on the same mobo. Question, if I install win 8 on clone #2, the product key apparently is embedded in the bios-hardware. Once win 8 is installed, can I re-connect win 7 #1 and boot up, or will the embedded Win 8 product key prevent this or create issues?

MS support is ambiguos and tells me sure you can, but the explanations appear uncertain. Anyone have a clue about this issue?

Thank you,
    Washton

2. 2012/12/07
    EL CONJUNTO

EL CONJUNTO Well-Known Member

I did the same thing but since I had some errors with win7 (nothing serious) I used my win 7 recovery disks and installed it without any updates or extra software on a new hdd and then used the win 8 upgrade. No problems. I go back and forth between hdd and no issues. I even did it with a third hdd but there was some physical errors with it and I discarded it but it installed just fine with no problems.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/12/08
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Welcome to WindowsBBS;)

How the new Windows 8 license terms affect you

After I upgrade, can I use my old Windows version on a separate partition or on another PC? Can I give it away or sell it?

No. The upgrade replaces the old license completely. The terms are written in very clear language:

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way.