1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Using Two Different Browsers ath the Same Time?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by EL CONJUNTO, 2012/11/17.

1. 2012/11/17
    EL CONJUNTO

EL CONJUNTO Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Unlike Win 7 where the desktop allows you to both preview and switch between browsers, Win 8 seems to have a conflict with Chrome and not Firefox. Yes you can switch between browsers and even split the screen between the two. The difference is that when I start Chrome from the desktop it does NOT come up with a MINIMZE or CLOSE. This forces me to have to go around through the Start Screen (I think you call it the Metro?) and not allow accessability directly from the desktop taskbar. Did I choose the wrong choice in installing Chrome or is Chrome not set up identically as it would be in Win 7? Sometimes I like to stream audio on Chrome while I work with another browser. The way it is now I cannot listen unless I split the screen which makes the browser I'm working with smaller and not full screen and the audio completely drops out when you switch to the other browser.
    ???????????

2. 2012/11/17
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

That's because you are using Chrome as "App ". Same thing would happen if you'd use the IE10 app.

From Chrome's settings, select Relaunch Chrome on the desktop.

Attached Files:

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/11/17
    EL CONJUNTO

EL CONJUNTO Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks Arie,
    I knew there must be a setting somewhere. I did a workaround that also worked. First I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome but that didn't work. Then I made Firefox my default browser and re-booted. That worked. I guess Chrome works different from IE and Firefox. They remain as they did in Win 7 but Chrome gets hooked up with Win 8 mode and must be unhooked to perform on a standard computer. It probably was designed for and works better this way if you use it on a tablet etc.

5. 2012/11/18
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Yea, with IE, you have two versions on Windows 8. The "Metro" app and a separate Desktop IE10.

Arie,