1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

is it avaiable windows 8 provide (xp mode)?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by amoona, 2012/07/30.

1. 2012/07/30
    amoona

amoona Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,

I known windows 7 provide (xp mode)
    is it windows 8 also provide it?

any advice please!

2. 2012/07/30
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/07/30
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

No. Windows XP mode is only available for Windows 7.

You can run any Virtual Machine software on Windows 8 of course, but it would require that you have a valid Windows XP license to use.

Arie,
  5. 2012/07/30
    Core7

Core7 Inactive

Another wonderful reason NOT to downgrade to Windows 8.....

Microsoft are you listening????? Fix it!

6. 2012/07/31
    Arie

There's absolutely no reason for Windows XP mode in Windows 8. Should you really need it, there are free solutions available. The only difference is they work much better then Microsoft's VM, and you would need a Windows XP license to use.

I've been using Oracle VM Virtualbox for about two years now... much better software.

Arie,
  7. 2012/07/31
    Core7

Core7 Inactive

Removing a feature from an Operating System that lacks tools to support Older XP based business is a good reason to keep XP Mode. As far as the license is concerned most people already have an XP license. I am sure Oracle VM is a better product but try to get microsoft support when you begin to mix and match non-microsoft software. When I load a new operating system I don't want to spend time finding "Free" solutions just to get my existing software and platform to work.

First rule of good business, ADD features and services to your product, dont remove them!

Windows 8 is going to be a hard enough sale for Microsoft, they have already shot themselves in one foot, no need to blow the other one off as well!

IMHO!

8. 2012/07/31
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

And in theory, "older XP based businesses" know that they'll have to upgrade someday.

9. 2012/07/31
    Core7

Core7 Inactive

True, but why "upgrade" to less and do it now? Expend money in hard economic times for less then you already have? Have to retrain employees! Don't think so! If its not broke don't fix it even if Microsoft decides they won't support it.

Coming from an IT staff of a fortune 100 company I can tell you business customers are looking for LONG TERM and stable solutions for their IT needs. Migration is expensive, time consuming and a user nightmare, not to mention the loss of productivity in the process. These are costs that a business will never recover and detract from the bottom line.

Look at the migration numbers from NT to XP and XP to Vista (or 7) in businesses. Vista was a nightmare and Windows 7 offered little bang for the buck, they created more problems then solutions.

This is one of the reasons Unix based systems are so popular in the business environment, the OS continues to grow and be further refined. Unix is technically never obsolete. If the hardware changes simply recompile the source code and off you go! Unfortunately, Unix can be very cryptic and non-user friendly, this is where Microsoft carved out their nitch. XP was easy to use, powerful, flexible and for the most part stable.

This is not to say any OS is perfect. The best ones grow with the hardware and offer features and enhancements on top of what is already there. They are flexible, powerful, and allow a user to build on top of what they already know. They don't take usable features and tools away!

Apple took a much better approach; they offer the Ipad for those non power users and provided the Mac for those people who need more flexibility and power. Look at OS X, is just continues to get better. I foresee that Mac will continue to gain ground in the business arena as well.

Microsoft is going the way of the Ipad but abandoning the power user.

My prediction is that Windows 8 will be a "casual user" OS, that is those with tablet PC's and users that really don't need or want power features. It will be good for point of sale and retail applications, tablets and touch screen frontends. This is where Metro will make it's mark. But for general business users it's a bust. Sorry to those flag toting Microsoft lovers, take it from one who ran the original MSDOS on a Heathkit H89 and always supported Microsoft.

Think I am wrong? Let’s re-visit the migration numbers to Windows 8 one year after the formally released to business customers! I would have thought Microsoft would have learned with Vista, perhaps not. Only time will tell!

10. 2012/08/01
    Arie

Windows 8 will not be used by businesses. Microsoft knows that, that's the reason why Windows 7 is supported through January 2020

I can't speak for all Linux distro's, but for popular business one (RHEL) this is certainly not the case. It is exactly the same as with Windows, their versions have defined end-of-life dates.

See Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle

Compare that with Microsoft's Support Lifecycle

So the latest RHEL versions are supported for an additional 3 years compared to Microsoft business software (13 years vs 10 years).

Personally, I don' care for Windows 8. It is annoying & slows you down big time. Probably just fine for the "content consuming crowd ", but for a content creator it is annoying & gets in the way of doing work.

Arie,
  11. 2012/08/01
    Core7

Core7 Inactive

I think in your last paragraph the word "Work" sums it up. PC's can be entertainment toys and Windows 8 will be good for that. If that is what Microsoft set out to do with 8 they will have done well.

For the rest of us (who seriously use PC's as tools and a little play) Windows 8 will have little or no value.

I believe the days of consumers waiting at midnight at best buy, compusa and circuit city to be the first to buy the next release of Microsoft's OS are sadly over! :(