Windows, Operating System, Security, Networking, Malware, Support, Forum, Help Site Check Our Facebook Page!
Notices
Windows 7 Post your Windows 7 related questions here.

Register your FREE account to unlock additional features at WindowsBBS.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th May 2011   #1

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate
rogerbid Reputation Level

Hibernate mode suddenly stopped working

Hi,

Please can someone help me with the Hibernate function in Windows 7.

Many months ago I spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot the Hibernate/Sleep function on Windows 7 and eventually gave up. I subsequently had to reinstall Windows 7 on a reformatted drive and to my amazement from that day on the Hibernate function has worked

It has continued without major problems until 48 hours ago. Because of the past problems, I have routinely made manual restore points at regular intervals and whenever the Hibernate mode faltered I have been able to wind back to a working state.

One thing which has regularly messed with the Hibernate function has been a program called LP Recorder, for recording vinyl LPs. Having some LPs to record on Saturday evening I created a Restore Point prior to starting. Yesterday, after all the LPs were transferred to CD, I restored to Saturday's Restore Point but this time I have not restored the Hibernate function. Worse still is the fact that all my previous Restore Points have vanished without a trace.

Since I worked on the LPs, I have not made any other changes to the system I am running, no programs have been installed or removed, in fact I have really not done a lot on the computer.

Can someone please suggest a possible solution, or explain the apparent connection between a program that records on the Line In jack and the Hibernate function? In my own mind I am totally convinced there is a connection, the problems that have occurred have almost always followed the use of such a program, but I do not have the knowledge to understand how this can be!

While searching the forum here for solutions, I found this “Thanks for the tips. But I have found out the culprit. The Windows Search 4.0 "Index Now" option was enabled. On disabling it the problems were resolved.” Where do I find 'Windows Search Index Now' please??

Thanks for any suggestions,

best wishes,

Roger

Register
to remove this ad.

Old 30th May 2011   #2
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Usually not enough
PeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation Level

My System
Windows Search 4 is not applicable to Windows 7 - it went out with Vista.
Quote:
Can someone please suggest a possible solution
Disable Hibernation and set the computer to do what you want under Power Options.

Many moons ago when we had a Microsoft 'code monkey' on the BBS who explained exactly what hibernation involved and the minor miracle which occurred if/when the computer came out of hibernation

I have always turned the feature off in all OS's in which it was available.

My take on hibernation - others will clearly have different views.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 30th May 2011   #3
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Arie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation LevelArie Reputation Level

My System
Run this command from an elevated command prompt: powercfg -h off followed by powercfg -h on.

No idea if it will work, what it does is that it will delete the current hiberfil.sys file and subsequently re-create it.

Old 31st May 2011   #4

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate

Hi and thanks for your replies.

PeteC, I will try that. You say you have always turned the feature off - do you mean you have just turned off hibernation and relied on Sleep instead, or abandoned both functions?

Arie - thanks for your suggestion, which I will try.

I will write again with news of how I get on,

best regards,

Roger

Old 31st May 2011   #5
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Usually not enough
PeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation LevelPeteC Reputation Level

My System
Quote:
PeteC, I will try that. You say you have always turned the feature off - do you mean you have just turned off hibernation and relied on Sleep instead, or abandoned both functions?
I have abandoned both functions and only allow the monitor to go into standby.

Old 1st June 2011   #6

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate

Mmmm I might end up doing the same thing if I cannot find a solution.

Thanks for your help,

Roger

Old 5th June 2011   #7

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate

Problem with Hibernate/Sleep in Windows 7 - RESOLVED

Hi and a big thanks to everyone who has responded.

After a tiresome and frustrating weekend, trying all i know and following the advice offered here, i have finally hit upon the solution to my problem.

In my original post, I mentioned the problem arose after I had recorded vinyl albums to CD. I was firmly convinced that the program (LPRecorder) was in some way to blame for the failure of the Hibernate mode.

Well, after running powercfg -energy in cmd.exe, one of the errors listed was:
<HTML><META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=utf-8">
<p class=log-entry-header>System Availability Requests:System Required
Request</DIV>
<p class=log-entry-content>
<p class=log-entry-description>The device or driver has made a request to
prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.</DIV>
<TABLE>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD><SPAN class=detail-name>Requesting Driver Instance</SPAN></TD>
<TD>HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&amp;VEN_10EC&amp;DEV_0888&amp;SUBSYS_104382FE&amp;REV_1 001\4&amp;22ba60&amp;0&amp;0001</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD><SPAN class=detail-name>Requesting Driver Device</SPAN></TD>
<TD>High Definition Audio Device</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
When I saw High Definition Audio Device I racked my brains to recall exactly what changes I had made there when recording the LPs. Then I remembered that I had ticked a box to allow me to hear the audio from the Line In. I went back to untick that box and rebooted. I then reset the power settings to let the PC sleep and lo and behold it worked again.

I nearly came undone when, to verify that this tick was the offending item, I ticked it again and sure enough Hibernate function failed again. The problem was that after unticking it again, the function did not restore.... However, after a bit of fiddling around and rebooting, it did again and it is now seemingly OK.

I hope this solution is a help to others who come to this post looking for assistance,

Thanks again to all who replied,

Roger

Old 5th June 2011   #8
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Usually not enough

My System
Great bit of sleuthing there - well done

Please mark this thread as 'Resolved', see .....
Quote:
Marking a thread as 'Resolved'

We have added functionality to the forum that allows you to mark your threads as 'Resolved'.

It is considered courteous to post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received an answer to your question. If you were given multiple suggestions/solutions, it is also helpful if you would list the solution that worked for you.

Once you have posted those details, when still looking at your thread, near the top of your thread you'll see Thread Tools. Click the down arrow to expand the drop down menu, at the bottom of it you'll see Mark this thread as solved. Click on it to mark your thread as solved.

If later you find that the problem has returned, and you had previously marked your thread as solved, follow the steps above. Instead 'Mark this thread as solved' you will see that in this case Mark this thread as unsolved is listed.

Please read the User Guide for more information.

THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.

Are you having the same problem? Please post a new thread, but first you'll have to join us by Registering (FREE).

Discussion Forums
Operating Systems
Windows 10 Windows 10
Windows 8 Windows 8
Windows 7 Windows 7
Windows Vista Windows Vista
Windows XP Windows XP
Windows Server System Windows Server System
Legacy Windows OS Legacy Windows OS
Internet & Networking
Networking (Hardware & Software) Networking
Internet Explorer Internet Explorer