1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved What is a System Image Restore Point?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chrisw, 2011/03/20.

1. 2011/03/20
    chrisw

chrisw Inactive Thread Starter

How does it differ from a System Restore point? (Win7)

2. 2011/03/20
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/03/21
    chrisw

Mark.......Thanks, but that's not the question I asked. I think I know what a System Restore point is, but what is a System IMAGE Restore Point? I have searched the Internet, but have been unable to find a definition.

System Restore points can be deleted from 7, but SIRPs cannot. I notice that the creation of a SIRP is immediately preceeded by the creation of a "regular" System Restore point.

5. 2011/03/21
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

6. 2011/03/21
    chrisw

Arie...not really. I'm trying a different slant, I thought if I can find M$ definition of a SIRP then I might be able to figure this out. I'm like a dog with a bone, I shake it to death.

7. 2011/03/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Here it is:

Create a restore point

System image backups stored on hard disks can also be used for System Restore, just like the restore points created by system protection.

8. 2011/03/21
    chrisw

Tony...Getting closer, but not there. The link tells me what a restore point is and what a system image is, but not what a system image restore point is. If I need to do an image restore, do I just click on the SIRP I want (I thought image restore required the recovery disk)? Perhaps I've long ago deleted the image on my ext HD that corresponds to that SIRP, so why is that SIRP still shown?

9. 2011/03/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The page in that link I posted contains a paragraph that begins with this:

System image backups stored on hard disks can also be used for System Restore, just like the restore points created by system protection.

Later in that paragraph is a link like this:

What is a system image?
    .which explains what a System Image is. And on that page is a link to this page:

Back up your programs, system settings, and files which explains how to create a System Image.

In a nutshell, a System Image Restore Point is a system image that can be used by System Restore.

Restoring a computer using Recovery Disks is similar to the above. Recovery Disks are provided by computer manufacturers because those computers do not come with an actual Microsoft Windows installation CD or DVD. The Recovery Disk itself can contain the operating system and pre-installed software, or it can contain only the recovery software and the operating system/software is contained in a image file store on the hard drive, usually on a separate partition just for storing that image. When using a Recovery Disk the computer is restored to what it was like when first purchased, any additional software that you installed will be lost and personal settings and data will also be lost. In short, the Recovery Disk method wipes out everything and you end up with a computer just like the day you booted it for the very first time.

10. 2011/03/23
    chrisw

Tony...OK, getting closer. I think you're saying that if I click on one of those SIRPs (and the ext HD that contains the corresponding image is connected to my PC), then the image will be brought back to my main HD without me needing to use my Win7 repair disk. Yes?

1. Suppose that image has long been discarded ...why does its SIRP remain on my list of restore points? How do I get rid of these "dead" SIRPS?

2. How does one put multiple images on the same ext HD? Mine always over-write, so I only can have one image per drive.

11. 2011/03/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

chrisw and lj50 like this.
  12. 2011/03/25
    Flatiron2

Flatiron2 Well-Known Member

I have not tried it the SR way.

This is how I Restore from an Image, without a Repair Disk, if you're able to Boot to Windows.
    Go to Control Panel > Backup and Restore >
    Click on the Recover system settings on your computer link.
    Click on the Advanced recovery methods link.
    Select the Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer option.
    Select Skip to continue the system image recovery without backing up any of your current files.
    Click on Restart.

Scroll down to STEP TWO
    To Do the System Image Recovery for the rest here
    System Image Recovery - Windows 7 Forums

It does work for me. I did it yesterday within 2 minutes on Win 7 Pro, 64-Bit.
    The Image was from a fresh install, with only Windows Updates, including SP1.
    BTW, I do have a Repair Disk just in case.
    I read somewhere the other day to start
    Disk Cleanup > Ok > Clean up system files > Ok > More Options tab > Under System Restore and Shadow Copies > Clean up.

I have not tried that yet.
    I have old SIRPs too, and have not found a way to get rid of them either.
    Explained from Tony's link and mine, when you create an image it will over write the previous one unless you rename it.

When I create an Image I'll move into a new Folder with a distinct name and date.

The only Image I have showing(WindowsImageBackup)is the one I would like to restore to, if need be.

chrisw likes this.
  13. 2011/03/25
    chrisw

Tony....many thanks, the detailed guide (and related tutorials) cleared many things up. Why doesn't M$ Help and Support include such instructions? Give me XP's system restore anytime!

Flatiron...thanks for the helpful tips. I've come to believe the old SIRPs can't be eliminated unless I can find something in Tony's tutorials.

14. 2011/03/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Glad to be of help.

Please mark this thread as Resolved, unless you have further questions.