1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Power cut while installing Win7pro64 - where are the temp files?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Howattee, 2011/01/28.

1. 2011/01/28
    Howattee Lifetime Subscription

Howattee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my PC to Windows 7 Pro 64bit, but right in the middle we had a power cut & my system crashed after the battery on my UPS expired!

Now Windows 7 installation keeps giving me error messages and saying it can't continue, yes after umpteen reboots & tries.

I can still get into XP as that is installed on a different drive.

So my system at the moment has 2 500Gb SATA drives, both partitioned to 75Gb (system) & 390Gb (Data).

Channel 1 M system: is Windows XP SP3 32-bit. Runs ok.
    Channel 2 M system: is where I tried to install Windows 7 & failed.

I have re-formatted Channel 2 M system to get rid of the Windows 7 files, to try a clean install BUT i don't know where all the temporary files are on the Channel 1 drive - currently XP.

The system boots provided I tell it to load "older operating system" rahter than Windows 7.

So how do I get rid of the Temporary files and everything else to do with Windows 7 so I can carry out a clean install?

OR would I be better off in formatting Channel 1 as well and reinstalling XP?

I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks:confused::confused::confused:

2. 2011/01/29
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

What you want to do is a "Startup Repair" in Windows XP, but that's not something you can do easy in XP as you can in Vista/Windows 7.

Try to boot off your XP CD, and choose the option To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

Run the command Fixboot.

Alternatively you could probably reset the boot sector by using EasyBCD

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/01/29
    Howattee Lifetime Subscription

Howattee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks Arie. Going to try the XP boot first.