1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved 5 Mins constant hard drive activity

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hill, 2011/01/07.

1. 2011/01/07
    Hill

Hill Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,
    When we first turn on the computer for the first 5 mins the hard drive light is constant. This happens on all profiles.
    The OS is a Win 7 upgrade from XP 32 bit. Upgrade was done 3 months ago.
    If we try to open programs most will take a long time to load and then will be unresponsive until the hard drive activity stops. Once the hard drive activity dies down the computer works fine.

I have tried some trouble shooting but I am not to good with Win 7.

**All drivers are up to date.
    Updated BIOS and chipset drivers to no effect.

Any suggestions where to track down what is going on?
    Thanks

Last edited: 2011/01/07
    Hill,
  2. 2011/01/07
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions!

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/01/07
    Hill

There we go. They weren't being displayed.
    Thanks

Hill,
  5. 2011/01/07
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Hill. This issue sounds to me like a software problem. You probably have to many programs running on startup and thats why your computer is taking a long time to load.

Try following these steps to help make the computer run faster and more efficiently:

1. Click Start< Control Panel< Uninstall a Progam and uninstall any programs that you don't use.
    2. In Control Panel under Programs and Features click the link that says Turn Windows Features On or Off and uncheck all the checkboxes except for Games, Internet Explorer 8, Media Features, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, Windows Gadget Platform, Windows Search, XPS Services and XPS Viewer. Click Ok when you are done. (If you use a Windows Feature that is listed then don't uncheck its checkbox)
    3. Download and run ATF Cleaner and select all the checkboxes in the program then hit the empty selected button, ATF Cleaner.
    4. Run Disk Cleanup. Click Start< All Programs< Accessories< System Tools< Right click Disk Cleanup and select Run as Administrator. Once Disk Cleanup finishes calculating how much space it can free up make sure that all the checkboxes are selected. Once all of those checkboxes are selected click the More Options tab and under System Restore and Shadow Copies click the Cleanup button. Click Clean up to delete all of the old System Restore points. Once thats done click the Ok button to perform the requested actions and click Yes when prompted to allow Disk Cleanup to remove unnecessary files on the computer.
    5. Disable any Windows Services that you don't use by following Black Vipers Services Guide.
    6. Download and run Auslogics Disk Defrag from here, Auslogics Disk Defrag.
    7. Download and run Quicksys RegDefrag from here, Quicksys RegDefrag.
    8. Download and run Autoruns from here. When you open the program click the Logon Tab and remove any programs that you don't need to startup with your computer.
    9. Could you let me know what security programs you have installed?

Let me know if the computer is any faster after performing the above steps. :)

Last edited: 2011/01/07
  6. 2011/01/07
    Ski52

Ski52 Inactive

May be as simple as having your virus/malware scanner set to 'scan on startup'
    Look for the obvious

7. 2011/01/09
    Hill

Thanks Evan for the suggestion.
    I decided to take a incremental approach to it. I first went into the "Windows Feature" most of what you said to uncheck was already unchecked except.....something like "PC tablet... "unchecked it, rebooted and it seems to have eliminated the problem. Going to give it a few more reboots before I make it resolved.
    Thanks

Hill,
  8. 2011/01/09
    Evan Omo

Ok. Keep me posted.

9. 2011/01/10
    pweegar

pweegar Well-Known Member

Hill,
    You might also want to defrag your hard dricve if you haven't done so in a while. A fragmented HD will cause performance issues.

10. 2011/01/10
    Evan Omo

Hi pweegar. As part of the steps to the original poster, I am having them download and run Auslogics Disk Defrag which is a more thorough disk defrag program than the Windows defrag utility.

11. 2011/01/11
    pweegar

pweegar Well-Known Member

Evan,
    Yes, I saw where you told the OP to download auslogics defragger (I use it myself). But I do not see where the OP actually did a defrag.

Something else I would suggest is running chkdsk c: from the command prompt (with Admin priv.) This will check for problems with the hd (I would bet it won't find anything wrong, as Win7 seems to be pretty good at keeping the file system in shape.

12. 2011/01/12
    Hill

Thanks for the suggestions/comments.
    It has been an incredible improvement than before.
    I have downloaded and bookmarked the tools suggested by Evan,.... just in case.
    Marking "resolved "

13. 2011/01/13
    Evan Omo

Awesome. Glad your issue is now resolved. :)