Windows, Operating System, Security, Networking, Malware, Support, Forum, Help Site Check Our Facebook Page!
Notices
Windows 7 Post your Windows 7 related questions here.

Register your FREE account to unlock additional features at WindowsBBS.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th December 2010   #1
Inactive

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Beginner
Action Hero Reputation Level

My System

PC Freezing for no apparent reason

I've recently started experiencing my PC freezing usually w/i a couple minutes of starting up. Doesn't matter what program I'm trying to open or use. I've tried to do a system restore to an earlier time/date when I didn't have this problem to no avail. I've run Malware and Superantispyware plus my own McAfee virus protection and have come up empty.
Problem still there. Any suggestions?

Register
to remove this ad.

Old 30th December 2010   #2
Away...

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate
markmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Level

My System
Please follow the instructions below so we can see the details of your PC. My System will appear in your profile box to the left of your post if you have done it corrrectly.

First thing you can try (but only if you have more than one memory module) is to remove all but one of the modules and continue use of the PC to see if the problem persists, then swap for the other module/s one at a time.

Quote:
Please click on the link below and follow the instructions. This will show you how to enter your systems details.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/adding_sys...fications.html

After you have filled in all your details do not forget to click on save changes, at the bottom of the page.

Quote:
To have your system specifications displayed in your profile, you have to click the button "User CP" from the top left of the page, then select "Edit Options", scroll down the page to "Thread Display Options" make sure you select "Yes" in the box next to "System Specifications" then scroll down the page and click Save Changes.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 30th December 2010   #3
Inactive

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Beginner

My System
not sure how to get into cabinet and identify memory module. Don't want to ***** it up! :-)

Old 30th December 2010   #4
Alumni

Profile:
Computer Experience:
A bit (or is it a by
Zander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation LevelZander Reputation Level

My System
Also, it could be getting too hot. You'll need to figure out how to open the case and have a look inside. Make sure all the fans are running and if it's got a lot of dust in it, use compressed air to blow the dust out of it. Try leaving the case open and put a fan (window fan or whatever you have available) next to it blowing toward the motherboard and use the computer that way for a while. If the computer quits freezing while running it like this, you have a overheating situation of some sort.

Old 31st December 2010   #5
Administrator

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Admin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation LevelAdmin. Reputation Level

My System
Originally Posted by Action Hero View Post
not sure how to get into cabinet and identify memory module. Don't want to ***** it up! :-)
All that info can be found in SIW as instructed.

Old 31st December 2010   #6
Away...

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate
markmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Levelmarkmadras Reputation Level

My System
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ.../et183107.html

This link has pictures of your PC. Next to the picture of the tower there are three thumbnails. Click on the second one to see a picture of the inside.

There is either a couple of screws on the back of the tower that secure the side panel or a sliding button with a small picture of a padlock next to it, remove the screws or slide the button to unlock and remove the side panel, sliding it towards the back (with the unit unpluged). Touch the metal of the case with you hands before you touch anything inside to get rid of any static electricity.

You can see the fan in the middle, check to make sure that is running when you switch it on and that it is clean and the heat sink behind it is clean. If it looks dusty, blow it out with compressed air.

Just to the right of the fan there are two vertical slots, these are your memory modules. There are two clips on each end of the slots, if you push the clips outwards they will release the module which you can then remove. Run the PC with just one module installed and see how it behaves, if no change, put the module back, push the clips back in place and then repeat with the other module.

If there is no change with either module removed you will need to test your hard drive.

On the left of the picture you can see yellow, red and black wires, these are connected to the hard drive. Look to see what make and model it is and put it in your next post, you may have to remove it to do this.

If this is all too tricky for you we can take a different approach.

Old 6th January 2011   #7
Inactive

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Beginner

My System
Will try these fixes and let you know.

Old 7th January 2011   #8
Away...

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate

My System
OK, but these are not fixes, this is just diagnosis. Get these first checks done and then we can move on to testing the hard drive.

Old 28th January 2011   #9
Inactive

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Beginner

My System
Seems like whatever I did, it's not freezing up anymore. Should this happen again or continue, I'll be back in touch. Thank You for your help and input.

Old 29th January 2011   #10
Away...

Profile:
Computer Experience:
intermediate

My System
Umm, can't pass much comment on that unless you say what you did

THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.

Are you having the same problem? Please post a new thread, but first you'll have to join us by Registering (FREE).

Discussion Forums
Operating Systems
Windows 8 Windows 8
Windows 7 Windows 7
Windows Vista Windows Vista
Windows XP Windows XP
Windows Server System Windows Server System
Legacy Windows OS Legacy Windows OS
Internet & Networking
Networking (Hardware & Software) Networking
Internet Explorer Internet Explorer
Microsoft Mail Microsoft Mail