1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Automate notebook boot-up at high performance

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IvanH, 2010/11/16.

1. 2010/11/16
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I like to work at Power Saver mode on my notebook when not plugged in. The problem is I very often forget to change it back to High Performance before shutting it down. Then the next time I want to turn on my notebook, it is booting up like a dead fish.

Is it possible to configure Windows 7 to boot up in High Performance no matter what energy mode is it before shutting down?

2. 2010/11/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I rather doubt that - you are configuring the Power Options which will be recorded in the Registry and will not change until you change them.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/11/16
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

There's no need to change that manually. You can set your power plan exactly how you want it, so it will do one thing while on battery, and another thing when plugged it.

From Power Options, click change plan settings next to your selected plan. Next click the link Change advanced power settings and click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Now you can change whatever you want, including the processor power management, and for both cases (on battery & plugged in).

Arie,
  5. 2010/11/16
    IvanH

Thanks Arie. But it doesn't fulfil my need. I want to use Power Saving when not plugged in until Windows 7 shut down/sleep/hibernate. Then when the notebook boots up (unplugged)/resume again, it uses Max / High Performance, so as to minimize user wait time.

6. 2010/11/17
    Arie

That's never going to happen.

Arie,
  7. 2010/11/18
    IvanH

Is there a register that controls the boot up speed?

The first Windows based notebook should already have this feature. How come Microsoft lack such business sense?

8. 2010/11/18
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Maybe they could edit the shut down screen-> "Hey Ivan - did you set the machine back to High Performance? "

Then there's the issue of shutting down in Low mode and wanting to boot back up in Low Mode...What's a guy to do?

I have yellow stickies plastered all over my monitor:)

9. 2010/11/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

My question is this:

Why are you concerned at all about power saving? Unless you travel a lot or use the notebook for extended periods at coffee shops or hotspots, there's no real need for power saving, i.e. no need to be concerned about battery power as long as you travel with the charger at hand.

I've had my laptop set to run at full performance whether plugged in or on battery. I stll get about 3.5-4 hrs use on battery and the battery is 3.5 years old.

The only things that differ in my power settings are those settings for turning off the monitor and shutting down. If on power supply, the monitor turns off after 20 min and on battery it turns off after 5 min and shuts dopwn if battery gets low., otherwise it runs the same settings for powered & battery.

I never use hibernate and if plugged in I never use standby.

10. 2010/11/18
    IvanH

I want the machine to switch to High Performance automatically for boot-up and shut-down, while other time manually.

No. Shutting down in High mode and boot it back up in High mode too.

It will give my client an unorganized impression of me. And It's not a monitor, it's a notebook. Stickies will fall.

11. 2010/11/19
    Arie

I guess it says something that it doesn't. There's no need for anything like this.

12. 2010/11/19
    IvanH

I put back the old hard disk (native Windows Vista), and it has a utility which already mapped a quickkey to toggle among three power modes: Battery Savings, Balance and High Performance. But Windows 7 is not compatible with the utility, even in compatibility mode. I believe it's the customer voice to demand for power management, and thus Windows were able to support it by working with Intel on it.

It seems that my notebook is outdated and my new notebook should rely on the turbo mode of over-clocking i7, which is automatic. And thus not managed anymore by Windows.