1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Desktop icons disappear

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wahlroot, 2010/09/21.

1. 2010/09/21
    wahlroot

wahlroot Inactive Thread Starter

I must have done something else. My desktop icons disappear, and I can click the desktop and they come back. What have I done and what can I do to put a stop to it.

2. 2010/09/21
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I don't know if this will help. Start\in the search box, type Desktop icon settings.

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/21
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

You may be hiding desktop icons a setting available for those who prefer a pretty picture unobstructed picture. In any case right click desktop>view>check show desktop icons.

5. 2010/09/22
    wahlroot

Show desktop icons is checked on, even wnen the icons are off. This may happen when I do a Copy and Paste from my Windows XP to the Windows 7. I do not think this only happens when I do this, and it does not happen each time I do this. I get a notice "Windows Explorer has Stopped working" and the red line goes across. Then Windows Explorer starts. Then the icons Disappear and come back on. I do not know if any of this has anything to do with any of this. I am not sure I will ever learn Windows 7.

6. 2010/09/23
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

One possible cause of 'Windows Explorer has stopped working' may be a third party shell extension - this applies to all versions of Windows certainly back to XP.

If you have third party shell extensions they are shown in the right click menu on a file in addition to the Windows items.

Would be worthwhile downloading ShellExView and disabling all non-Microsoft shell extensions and testing to see if the problem is resolved. If it is re-enable one by one, testing inbetween each, until the culprit is found.

7. 2010/09/23
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi wahlroot,
    Sorry it wasn't the simple fix.

Do as Pete suggests. This is not an icon problem. This is an explorer shell [explorer.exe] crash. Causes for such are and can be most anything in on or around your PC. You need to narrow down the root. I don't even know why I am about to post the rest of the information below because the most common and frequent problem and fix is as Pete suggests and "ShellExView" elimination will find the "culprit and cure ". I guess I just need to feel that a post should have more references, even if those references are not needed. So;

>Do as Pete suggests. Different site and directions, may be a wee bit easier to understand recipe, theory and method:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

>Make sure your apps and devices are updated and compatible.
    >Disable anything that is loaded at startup or runs in background that is not needed.
    >Make sure temps are cleaned and emptied often. "Copy n Paste" may need plenty of free resources, depending on size:
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/ <-Read carefully and understand what is getting cleaned.
    >Take your quoted error to google.
    >Check out your event "administrator tools ">event viewer for frequent and repeated problems.
    >Realize that explorer may crash from time. Ideally, not suppose to happen. Reality, but does!

--------------------------
    Google says this about windows 7 explorer crashes:
    google hits for windows 7 and explorer crashes

past post from our own archives explaining how to use ShellExView or other members experiences with such

Last edited: 2010/09/23
  8. 2010/09/23
    wahlroot

I ran ShellExView and found 7 non Microsoft Shells. I will disable them and enable them one at a time. I may have to do this several times because the problem does not seem to happen regurlarly. Many Startups and Services are Disabled in Msconfig and Services. Also I have a Bat file that comes on at each Bootup to clean out Temps. I may be missing some, so I will keep at it.

9. 2010/09/24
    wahlroot

I have not had the problem, so I did not Disable any Shells. I will keep doing what might have caused the problem. Then start from there.

10. 2010/09/24
    wahlroot

This afternoon the Icons started to disappear. I had to left Click on the Desktop to make them reappear. I disabled the non Microsoft Shells then enabled 1 at a time. There was no change. Then I noticed that when I left Clicked then waited 10 seconds the Icons disappeared again. I closed everything and Rebooted and now they do not disappear. Now it seems that I have run into a wall.

11. 2010/09/25
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Look for explorer or applications errors/crashes in your administrator tools>event viewer. Quote details here.

12. 2010/09/25
    wahlroot

Name Type No. of Events
    Hardware Events Administrative 0
    Hewlett-Pcakard Administrative 2
    Internet Explorer Administrative 0
    Key Management Serv. Administrative 0
    Media Center Administrative 0
    Microsoft
    Tweak-7 Service Administrative 16
    Windows PowerShell Administrative 27
    Windows Logs
    Application Administrative 5314
    Security Administrative 5701
    Setup Operational 188
    System Administrative 20397
    Forwarded Events Operational 0
    I do not know what any of this means.

13. 2010/09/25
    wahlroot

I ran System Maintenance and Computer has settled down. I do not know why or if it will last. I will see.