1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win7 Explorer doesn't immediately show file moves

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Frank D, 2010/08/25.

1. 2010/08/25
    Frank D

Frank D Inactive Thread Starter

In the Windows 7 Explorer double-pane window, which shows folders at the left and files/folders at the right, when I move files from the current folder into a different folder in the tree at the left, the files do not disappear from the pane at the right, even though they have been moved. In order to get the right pane to update I have to press F5 or click on View > Refresh. I'd like the move to be shown automatically, as it was in Windows XP, but it doesn't happen. :confused:

This is a major issue for me because unless I remember to refresh after every move, it looks like the files I moved are still present in the current folder, when they're not.

I've looked in Tools > Folder options... > View but there's nothing there for that, and I've googled and not found anything on that topic. There's probably a setting I'm missing.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Frank D

2. 2010/08/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

How are you moving the files? A simple drag only copies the files - a cut > paste moves the files - I guess this is what you are doing?

Problems in Windows Explorer are often caused by third party shell extensions - I suggest you download ShellExView v1.47 - Shell Extensions Manager which you will need to Right Click > Run as Administrator and disable all non Microsoft shell extensions and test. If the issue is resolved re-enable each shell extension in turn until the culprit is found.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/08/25
    Frank D

Pete,

I'm moving the files using click and drag, same way as I did in WinXP, only in this case, the moved files just sit there looking at me. I have to open the folder they've been moved to, to verify that they've been moved (and I can see they have been). When I go back to the source folder, they're gone. It's just a major source of annoyance that such a basic and simple operation gains a degree of difficulty in Win 7, rather than becomes easier.

I'll follow your suggestion with the ShellExView v1.47 program. Thanks!

Frank

5. 2010/08/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Post #2
    Not correct, but I swear that when I tried it out before that post I was seeing Copy rather than Move in the 'tooltip' window :confused:

6. 2010/08/27
    Frank D

Pete,

This is strange.

1) Just to confirm the situation, I selected and click/dragged 18 MP3 files from a folder ( "A ") containing 34 files, into a new, empty folder ( "B "). OK, the selected folders disappeared from folder A, just as they should. Then I opened folder B, saw the 18 files there (so far so good), selected all of them and dragged them back into folder A. This time, after releasing the mouse button, the files continued to appear in folder B -- even though I had moved them into folder A. I then opened folder A again, and there were the 18 files! Then I re-opened folder B and it was empty.

This shows that there are two scenarios at work: the first one is that the moved files disappear properly from the source folder into the receiving folder; the second is that the moved files do not disappear from the source folder, even though we know that they have been moved.

2) Before disabling/enabling the context menu items as you suggested above,
    I confirmed the behavior. After I disabled all the non-Microsoft shell extensions the problem went away (hurray!). After I tediously re-enabled each of the 27 shell extensions and tested the file moving, the problem did not appear again!!!

If the problem doesn't reappear, I can say "case closed "! :)
    Frank

7. 2010/08/27
    Frank D

Pete,

I spoke too soon. The same behavior is back. I should have tested further before posting my previous message.

I'm content to do the following: after doing all click and drag moves, I'll just make it a habit to press F5, which clears the Explorer pane of the (phantom presence of the) moved files. Other than this strange behavior, everything in Windows 7 works as it should. If you don't disagree, I'll mark this as resolved.

Thanks!

Frank