1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How do I uninstall microsoft silverlight from windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Forsaken Knight, 2010/06/06.

1. 2010/06/06
    Forsaken Knight

Forsaken Knight Well-Known Member Thread Starter

very recently, silverlight has installed itself onto my laptop. I did not intend for this to happen, and I have did a quick search online to find out the proper method of unistalling silverlight. Though, to be honest, several sites state that silverlight is not trully gone until you get an uninstall program. I first looked in the folder for an uninstall file, and found nothing. I then clicked on the actual silverlight program and looked around the limited tabs as to anything of relevence towards uninstalling it. I then just went into the control panel, clicked on programs, selected silverlight, and clicked on uninstall. The program seemed to be gone, but when I checked back at the folder location, it was still there. I then clicked on the folder, and selected delete. I am leaving the folder in my recylce bin until I find out the proper method I should do to eliminate the program from my system.

1. I would like to know what are the steps I need to do in order to fully get rid of Silverlight from my system.

2. I would like to know what Silverlight does. I went on the microsoft official site for the program, and even that did not give a clear description of what it does.

The reason I want to get rid of Silverlight is because it install itself with out me giving it permission. I don't like that, and I want it gone until I make an informed decision as to whether or not keep it or trash it. For now, its not allowed to work until I feel safe with it.

In conclusion, I just want to know what it is, how to get rid of it, and why is it needed. Even if Silverlight is from microsoft, I don't like it being installed unless I know fully what it will do.

Thank you all for your time. I look forward to see the proper method of uninstalling Silverlight.

P.S.: The version install was the latest update. I think it was 4.0 or something above 4.0. However, when I checked its memory location in the program folder, there were two main folders. One for 4.0 something, and one for 3.0 something. The uninstall method I did got rid of the 4.0 one from the program (x86) folder. However, the 3.0 one was still there. The 3.0 one is the one that I got rid of.

2. 2010/06/06
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

English version-> its a type of Flash the MS developed and it helps run many of their web sites...Its harmless;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/06/17
    MrBruce

MrBruce Inactive

If you really insist on removing Silverlight from your computer, you can find the uninstall located in your control panel under Programs and features then look for the name silverlight in the list.
    High-lite it and click the word uninstall at the top of the window and poof it will be gone.