Windows, Operating System, Security, Networking, Malware, Support, Forum, Help Site Check Our Facebook Page!
Notices
Windows 7 Post your Windows 7 related questions here.

Register your FREE account to unlock additional features at WindowsBBS.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th June 2010   #1
Inactive

Profile:
Computer Experience:
beginner
Forsaken Knight Reputation Level

My System

How do I uninstall microsoft silverlight from windows 7?

very recently, silverlight has installed itself onto my laptop. I did not intend for this to happen, and I have did a quick search online to find out the proper method of unistalling silverlight. Though, to be honest, several sites state that silverlight is not trully gone until you get an uninstall program. I first looked in the folder for an uninstall file, and found nothing. I then clicked on the actual silverlight program and looked around the limited tabs as to anything of relevence towards uninstalling it. I then just went into the control panel, clicked on programs, selected silverlight, and clicked on uninstall. The program seemed to be gone, but when I checked back at the folder location, it was still there. I then clicked on the folder, and selected delete. I am leaving the folder in my recylce bin until I find out the proper method I should do to eliminate the program from my system.

1. I would like to know what are the steps I need to do in order to fully get rid of Silverlight from my system.

2. I would like to know what Silverlight does. I went on the microsoft official site for the program, and even that did not give a clear description of what it does.

The reason I want to get rid of Silverlight is because it install itself with out me giving it permission. I don't like that, and I want it gone until I make an informed decision as to whether or not keep it or trash it. For now, its not allowed to work until I feel safe with it.

In conclusion, I just want to know what it is, how to get rid of it, and why is it needed. Even if Silverlight is from microsoft, I don't like it being installed unless I know fully what it will do.

Thank you all for your time. I look forward to see the proper method of uninstalling Silverlight.

P.S.: The version install was the latest update. I think it was 4.0 or something above 4.0. However, when I checked its memory location in the program folder, there were two main folders. One for 4.0 something, and one for 3.0 something. The uninstall method I did got rid of the 4.0 one from the program (x86) folder. However, the 3.0 one was still there. The 3.0 one is the one that I got rid of.

Register
to remove this ad.

Old 6th June 2010   #2
Staff

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Experienced
Steve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation LevelSteve R Jones Reputation Level

Quote:
Silverlight is a powerful development platform for creating rich media applications and business applications for the Web, desktop, and mobile devices.

Silverlight is a free plug-in powered by the .NET framework that is compatible across multiple browsers, devices and operating systems to bring a new level of interactivity wherever the Web works. With support for advanced data integration, multithreading, HD video using IIS Smooth Streaming, and built in content protection, Silverlight enables online and offline applications for a broad range of business and consumer scenarios.
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...s-silverlight/
English version-> its a type of Flash the MS developed and it helps run many of their web sites...Its harmless

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 17th June 2010   #3
Inactive

Profile:
Computer Experience:
Experienced
MrBruce Reputation Level

My System
Send a message via AIM to MrBruce Send a message via Yahoo to MrBruce
If you really insist on removing Silverlight from your computer, you can find the uninstall located in your control panel under Programs and features then look for the name silverlight in the list.
High-lite it and click the word uninstall at the top of the window and poof it will be gone.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.

Are you having the same problem? Please post a new thread, but first you'll have to join us by Registering (FREE).

Discussion Forums
Operating Systems
Windows 10 Windows 10
Windows 8 Windows 8
Windows 7 Windows 7
Windows Vista Windows Vista
Windows XP Windows XP
Windows Server System Windows Server System
Legacy Windows OS Legacy Windows OS
Internet & Networking
Networking (Hardware & Software) Networking
Internet Explorer Internet Explorer