1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Adobe Flash Player won't download in a 64 bit system

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rojam, 2010/04/09.

1. 2010/04/09
    Rojam Lifetime Subscription

Rojam Inactive Thread Starter

I am so unfamilar with my new Windows 7 computer with a 64 bit system.

While the grandkids are here and trying to play their games, I'm directed to download Adobe Flash Player. Clicking on the download link for this software for my Windows 7 64 bit computer gives me the following message from Adobe:

Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system. For details on setting this up for Windows see Microsoft Help & Support.

As far as I can tell this support sight offers no help for Windows 7. I would apprieciate any info that would allow me to download Adobe Flash player.

Also, when I click START>ALL PROGRAMS, I have two links for the Internet. One just says "Internet Explorer" and the other says "Internet Explorer (64 bit) ". If I click on the first one nothing loads. Clicking on IE 64 will load. I'm guessing that the first one (IE) is 32 bit, but I don't really know. Is there a setting where I can switch between the two. Any help on this will be great also.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. 2010/04/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You must set IE 32 bit as your default browser as outlined here ....
    Then download and install Adobe Flash from here

The scope of IE8 64 bit is limited by the scarcity of 64 bit ActiveX - stick with the 32 bit version :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/04/09
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello Rojam,

I'm just passing through this forum and happened upon you. While I don't use either IE (prefer Firefox) or 64 bit I did a quick google check for you and came up with these two hits that look like they explain your current problem rather well.

I'm going to pass them along to you in hopes that they will help you figure this out. They are informative at least:

Internet explorer: You should have the 32bit and 64bit

Differences between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer that are included in the x64-based versions

Hope this helps. ;)

5. 2010/04/09

Thanks Pete and goddez1,
    I followed the instructions to numbers 5 & 6. When I choose "change programs" it offered Internet Explorer, but didn't specified 32 or 64. So I followed the directions in the "Note" and it brought me back to where I was in step number 6. With no options on 32/64, I choose what was there. I still can not log on with just IE 32 bit.

Also, I don't get the ".exe" in the line "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe "

goddez1, your info said that the 32 bit version is supposed to be the default version, if so I should be able to reset to default, but I am unable to find a way to do this. I fell like such a dummy. :confused:

Thanks again,
    Ron

BTW, I will be at work most of the weekend, so I will try to follow up as best I can with your suggestions until I return home.

6. 2010/04/09

Possibly solved

After my last post, I thought of one more thing. I clicked START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK AND INTERNET>INTERNET OPTIONS> and under Internet Properties I clicked PROGRAMS and got lucky. There was a tab to make IE the default and a note that said IE64 cannot be the default. I clicked "Make default" rebooted and was able to download Flash.

I've got to get to work, but the grandkids will be here later and then I will find out if everything is really OK. Maybe I'm not a dummy after all.:eek:

Thanks again, I will post later to say if it is officially resolved.

7. 2010/04/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab Uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types' - they are not displayed by default.
    In the Open With dialogue hit the browse button and navigate to .... C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

You may have a problem with IE8 32 bit - if you double click on C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe does IE8 open as 32 bit.

If you have a desktop shortcut to IE right click on it > Properties and check that the target is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe ".

8. 2010/04/09
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi again,

This sounds like a perfect "fly by the seat of your pants solution ". Apparently 64 bit can't be designated as default IE Browser by making or forcing the option of making IE default browser it, apparently, forces a switch to the 32bit IE.

Happy this seemed to do the deed, if not, Pete should get you squared away right away. I am assuming based on the successful install of "Flash ", that all is well. Please remember to keep post updated with the final outcome.....curiously awaiting final result.

Last edited: 2010/04/09
  9. 2010/04/09

Thanks again to both of you. Before going to work, I explained to the wife on how to open IE in the correct version and to pass it along to the grandkids. Needless to say, the grandkids beat her to the computer. Sure enough, they opened the 64 bit version and the programs needing flash didn't work. My wife told them to log off and showed them which icon to use for the 32 bit. After doing this they had no problems playing their games.

However Pete, I when I get home, will go back and run through the procedure to "uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types ".

goddez1, correct, it was "by the seat of my pants ", however, an even quicker way, which I discovered later, was to just click "TOOLS" on the tool bar and go to "INTERNET OPTIONS ". Like they say, ya' learn something new every day, especially through Windows BBS. :)

PS: Thanks for this forum. Many times I just browse through the different forums and pick up something I never knew before. So many times other people have the same questions I do and I get the answers from their posts.

Thanks again,
    Ron

10. 2010/04/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You're welcome :)

If I were you I would delete the desktop icon to IE 8 x64 to avoid any further confusion. As I posted earlier IE8 x64 is rather crippled by the lack of 64 bit ActiveX and even if it were not you would find no real advantage in using it over IE8 x32.

11. 2010/04/10
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

:)

Can you please mark this as resolved?

See:
    If you receive an answer/solution to your question/problem, don't forget to mark your 'thread' as 'Solved'.
    For more information read the User Guide:
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/faq.php?fa..._faq#faq_intro

Your most welcome and thanks for the update.

12. 2010/04/10

Sorry, I didn't know that I was supposed to do that.:eek: