1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 dialup ISP setup problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rick2U, 2010/04/03.

1. 2010/04/03
    Rick2U

Rick2U Well-Known Member Thread Starter

T recently purchased a Compaq Presario notebook pc using Windows 7. I attempted to install AOL as my dialup ISP. I used an AOL CD first, later I used the Internet Connection Wizard with the same results. After inserting my Username, Password, and AOL access phone number, I attempted to dial in. When the dialing finished, I received an Error 691 message. "The remote connection was denied because the Username and Password combination you provided was not recognized, or the selected authentication protocol (whatever that is) is not permitted on the remote access server." I'm certain about the Username and Password, they're the ones I am using on my desktop pc, and there's no doubt about the access number, so where's the problem? Anybody else had a similar problem with the Error 691?

2. 2010/04/08
    Rick2U

Rick2U Well-Known Member Thread Starter

PROBLEM SOLVED. Needed to burn an AOL 9.5 CD to run on my new notebook pc. I am now conncted to the Internet. It was impossible to setup an Internet connection using the Windows Internet Connection Wizard, because everytime I reached the point where I had to dial in (yes, I have a dialup connection), a message came back saying the Username and Password wasn't recognized (error 691). There are no AOL 9.5 CDs available. Luckily, I had another computer to burn the CD.

Last edited: 2010/04/08

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/04/08
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Thanks for posting back with your resolution.