1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Startup Repair Taking Forever

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alistair, 2010/02/20.

1. 2010/02/20
    alistair

alistair Well-Known Member Thread Starter

We have a near-new Toshiba Satellite L510 notebook running Windows 7. It locked up yesterday and I eventually forced a shutdown. On restart, after long time with a screen blank except for the mouse arrow, it came up with a box headed "Startup Repair is checking your system for problems ". After a while it said it was attempting repairs, and gave the message "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete." A blue rectangle is constantly moving from left to right to show activity.

It has now been "repairing" for 12 hours with no change. I tried clicking "Cancel" but it told me the current repair operation cannot be cancelled. It is under warranty but it would be more convenient if there was a simple process to repair it at home. Even getting it to the repair shop would be a challenge as it won't let me cancel the process and shut it down, and if I force a shutdown with the power button, I'm concerned about making the disk error problem worse.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks.

Alistair

2. 2010/02/20
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you get any disc's with it or did you make any when you boot up and it asks you to?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/02/20
    alistair

No disks with machine, and I can't recall being asked to make any. That's not to say I wasn't asked, though. I may have thought I'd do it later.

5. 2010/02/20
    alistair

I've talked to the supplier and have the name of their repair people so I can take it there tomorrow, unless some helpful person out there can suggest a simple solution.

I'm reluctant to move it about too much while the so-called disk repair tool is running and the disk is spinning so I'd like to shut it down, but there is no response from the keyboard. Am I likely to do any more harm by shutting it down with the power button while the startup repair is running? I probably have no choice but to force a shutdown, but comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

6. 2010/02/20
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If C-A-D doesn't work, Do a hard shutdown with the power button.

7. 2010/02/20
    alistair

C-A-D does nothing. Do you think a hard shutdown would be more likely to cause loss of data than any other options a technician may have? I can't think what a technician may be able to do other than power it down in the same way, but if there was a chance, I would look at ways of getting it to him very gently with the disk still running.