1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Error 651 when trying to connect to Internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jrtchunter, 2010/02/07.

1. 2010/02/07
    jrtchunter

jrtchunter Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have just purchased a new PC with Windows 7. Everything was going smoothly until I went to connect to the internet. I got a message "Error 651 - Modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error. My ISP has checked the line to the modem and everyhing is clear, the PC should be working OK since a replacement of the motherboard.

My research has revealed that a RassPPOE.sys file can be replaced with a Vista version. I previously had XP so need to know if the XP file will work or if someone can upload the file to here, or email it to me, where I can use it

Need to know if this solution will work or if there is a better solution.

regards
    John

2. 2010/02/07
    kimsland

kimsland Inactive

Vista: “raspppoe.sys” > http://www.windowsreference.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/raspppoe.zip

Although its not needed
    Imagine installing another older OS system file to fix a new OS fault :rolleyes:

Anyway you can takedown or rename your current “raspppoe.sys”, then copy the old Vista one to the same location. Or you can just do the following ;)

Uninstall Microsoft Virtual PC
    Delete all connections in your connections folder
    Connect your modem via Ethernet
    Shut down your computer
    Cycle your modem/router
    Turn on your computer

Windows 7 should automatically set up the new found Internet access (as it always does)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/02/07
    jrtchunter

First question
    What's this Microsoft Virtual PC?

The modem is connected via Ethernet

Second question
    Your terminology may be different to what I'm used to using, what do you mean by cycle your modem/router?

Thanks

5. 2010/02/07
    kimsland

kimsland Inactive

Microsoft Virtual PC is an application that has been reported as causing this issue
    If you check in "Programs and Features" in "Control Panel ", you may have this installed.
    Since it has been related to causing the error code: 651, I suggest that if you 1, Have it installed 2. Don't require it. Then please uninstall it.

Glad to hear the Modem is connected directly to your computer via Ethernet

"cycle" is technical jargon. It just means turn off then turn on. Actually you could wait a few secs before turning on (say about 2 or 3)

I hope this helps :)

Edit:

Also I wonder how you would rename and takedown "RassPPOE.sys" if you are not very technically minded
    It may be best not to do this

6. 2010/02/07
    jrtchunter

Thanks Kimsland. I'll give your suggestion a go.

Might not be technically savvy but have enough knowledge to chage a file name. But as you suggest will try your method first. I'll get back to you (hopefully on the new PC) and let you know.

7. 2010/02/09
    jrtchunter

Kimsland, Microsoft Virtual PC wasn't on the PC. However, followed the rest of the procedure and tried to connect after cycling the Modem. Got a couple of errors while troubleshooting - Local Area Connection is experiencing driver or hardware related problems, then continuing with the troubleshooter Error 651 - Local Area Connection not working properly.

Just wondering if this can be resolved by you guys or if I need to go back to the manufacturer?

8. 2010/02/09
    kimsland

kimsland Inactive

The what now?
    Oh the manufacturer :rolleyes:
    By the way who is the manufacturer and what is the make and model of your computer?
    This info will help us in helping you, with such things as network drivers and patches ;)

Our own Admin of the entire forum even just suggested (the post before yours) to click on the link and setup your "System Details "

By the way can you run a quick CheckDisk on your drive. I've seen faulty network drivers just caused by crosslink and system corruption that CheckDisk can fix :)

9. 2010/02/16
    jrtchunter

I have now posted my info on my profile as per request. Anything else just ask. I've now had this PC for a month and have not been able to use it for Internet access as yet, hence the delay getting the info to you. Setting it up is getting to be such a drag. Hopefully either you or Acer can assist. I'm betting you guys will solve the problem first though!!!!

10. 2010/02/16
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Hi John,

I don't use Win 7 myself but a small suggestion that may help others answer your query.

Can you post the make and model number of your modem, it should be printed somewhere on the casing.

11. 2010/02/17
    jrtchunter

Motorola Surfboard S85101

12. 2010/02/17
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Fair enough, was thinking you perhaps had ADSL & Cable confused but you haven't.

Have you confirmed that IE is set to never dial a connection?

If so How are you connecting to the modem via NIC/RJ45 or USB (for most ISP's you should use one or the other not both)?

However you're connecting make sure it appears in network places (or win 7 equivalent) and device manager isn't showing any errors.

That's about the limit of my knowledge John so I'll leave it to the network & win 7 gurus from here.

Good luck.

13. 2010/02/17
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I've seen the same posted. I doubt the XP version will work. Vista drivers are mostly compatible with Windows 7.

You can find downloads linked on the Internet, not that I would ever in my life use a system file found on an Internet site on my system!

I would suggest that you make sure you have the latest network driver from Acer.

Also, if you have Adobe (or Apple) software installed, disable the Bonjour service.

Adobe Creative Suite and Creative Suite point products and Bonjour for Windows (CS3, CS4, Windows)

14. 2010/02/17
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

There is one other thing that you can try, and that is instead of connecting your Modem to the Motherboard RJ45 connector try a NIC card and connect to that.

15. 2010/02/17
    jrtchunter

Thanks Arie. I haven't tried the driver load as yet. Would prefer other options first. I have downloaded the drivers to USB and will be trying them. The PC is still in mint condition so hasn't got any Adobe products on it as yet.

16. 2010/02/22
    jrtchunter

Problem solved, thank you all. The modem appears to have been the issue. Should be resolved with a new one.