1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Battery life shown still incorrect and misleading

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IvanH, 2009/12/16.

1. 2009/12/16
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been looking forward to an accurate battery life be shown on my Windows-running notebook. For the Windows 7, I tested it on with a completely new battery (first time charged up to 100%) and stable environment, with WiFi turned off, no antivirus software and no app, no gadget running...

The notebook shows 2 hrs and 24 minutes remaining at the beginning of the test, and 20 minutes later, it shows 1 hour and 30 minutes remaining! It's Windows 7, no improvement over Vista and XP! How come? Anyone has the algorithm? (I understand batteries' characteristics that they'll drop voltage quickly at the first few minutes but then it should remain stable till about 80% used, then voltage drops sharply.) But these characters are well-predictable, and should be taken into consideration when indicating battery life. Should Microsoft misrepresent should information to notebook owners?

2. 2009/12/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You may be interested in Battery Eater to gain an indication of your battery life .....

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/12/16
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Isn't that Only true if you continue doing the exact same thing on the pc....like surfing the internet?

If while surfing you pop in a DVD to watch a move and start playin itunes off an mp3 player - isn't that going to use more battery? If so, the battery would need to recalibrate and spit out it's best GUESS....Cause there again - if you stop watching the movie - all of a sudden you'll gain back more battery time...

5. 2009/12/16
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

That's why it is called an indicator - it is only an indication, not an exact reading!

Arie,
  6. 2010/01/14
    pccarehimanshu

pccarehimanshu Inactive

7. 2010/01/20
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Not good enough. I need brighter LCD screen. And without high performance, the booting up will be slow.

It seems that Windows 7 (or Vista II) is still not good enough. The performance would be self-manage in a process with different stages, instead of just one, and requiring manual intervention.

The Battery Eater is still a techical driven design. Is there a budget driven battery management way? Like... you earn $1000 per week and that's all you can spend. Likewise, you need your notebook to survive for 6 hours, the power management system should be able to adjust efficiency of each component. This is budget controlling the battery. That's business sense in design.

8. 2010/01/24
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

how long do you plan on being away from an power outlet that you need to worry about how long your battery is going to last, my partner always takes her power adapter with her where ever she goes and plugs in if able to

9. 2010/01/26
    seventhdaybass

seventhdaybass Inactive

I personally never pay attention to the HR:MIN the indicator tells me I have left... I just keep my eye on the little battery symbol in the tray. When it gets down to about 1/4 life, I find an outlet.

My Asus has a performance based power management system. I would think it to be really hard to have a 'budget' based power management system as there is no way to know what programs you are going to be running... if you told your computer to last 6 hours and it set its settings so that it gets 6 hours of life, then you start a word processor or power point or Quicken... your computer would have to re-adjust it's settings to try to maintain 50% at 3 hours 33% at 4 hours, etc. In MANY cases, your screen would have to be dimmed to next to nothing and your processor set to a minimum performance level to maintain your 'need' for 6 hours of battery life. There are too many variables to include in a 'budget' power plan for it to be feasible. Especially if you need high performance and a bright LCD.

Not to be blunt, but it just doesn't make sense to go budget power rather than performance plan. I for one am happy with 7! It's a lucky number!

10. 2010/01/26
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

If all else fails and running on battery power is important-> purchase a second or thried battery.

11. 2010/01/26
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

I know some maker of laptops offer a larger capacity battery for longer usage time maybe you could get one of those aswell as the standard one you have now thated give around 8~9hrs continual use