1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Do I need to install Antivirus software under Windows XP Mode?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IvanH, 2009/11/28.

1. 2009/11/28
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

From Windows 7 Professional edition, the Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC were downloaded and installed smoothly. (see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx)

Then after successful setup from Start>All Programs>Windows Virtual PC>Windows XP Mode, the Windows XP window appears for the first time. The first message asked me to install an antivirus software. And it was confirmed from the Security Centre that Virus Protection was NOT FOUND.

The PC was using Norton 360. Does it mean I need to install the Norton 360 again within the Windows XP Mode window? And does it imply that an additional user license will be required?

2. 2009/11/28
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Windows XP Mode is just a special virtual machine running Win XP under Win 7.

You would need to install anti virus/anti malware in XP Mode if you want to use internet in this mode. However, if you have installed it due to some program not working in Win 7 & don't intend to use internet, I think you can do without it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/11/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

XP mode should set up an internet connection automatically and will log on as soon as XP is opened.

You do require anitvirus and - your option - a third party firewall.
    Forget Norton and install Avast or Avira (freeware). No conflicts - I have Sunbelt Vipre on the host computer and Avast on the virtual machine. No need for additional expense :)

5. 2009/11/29
    IvanH

Thank you reinfo and PeteC.

I am very much concerned about the Windows 7 security now.

1: If the native/third-party firewall, anti-virus software and Internet Security software running in Windows 7 could not cover Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, then a PC could be infected at any time whenever Windows XP Mode/Virtual PC is running, even though Windows 7 environment is well-protected. If this deduction is true, that means Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC can be un-locked backdoors of Windows 7 security. Am I correct?

2: Avast or Avira. PeteC, how's your experience of their services (assuming the product is as good as Norton 306/Internet Security), in case the installatation got into trouble.

3. If I use Avast or Avira, do I need / stop using the Windows Defender and/or Windows Firewall in Windows 7. Do I need a Windows 7 (64-bit) registry clearner? What's your recommendation? Anything else that I need? :)

6. 2009/11/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No need to be - XP mode is nothing more than XP in a virtual machine. If you want a response from one of our security experts start a thread in the General Security forum, but this is my take on the situation ....
    Yes ..... Even though it is a virtual environment, it is still susceptible to the same types of malicious software as a real system, and having anti-virus software on the host system will not protect the virtual system.
    My preference is for Avast - I have it running on 3 other computers - 2nd desktop, laptop & netbook. There is nothing wrong with Avira, but I found that the update servers were generally very slow.
    No, the virtual XP is independent of the host OS - leave your 7 security alone.

7. 2009/11/29
    IvanH

Thanks PeteC.

8. 2009/11/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You're welcome :) I should also have mentioned that, in addition to the PC's specified in my last post, that Avast is installed in XP Mode on my main desktop so that's 4 installations of Avast together with Sunbelt Vipre on the Windows 7 install.

9. 2009/12/01
    Michael York

Michael York Inactive

Hi IvanH,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Norton 360 is fully compatible with Windows 7. However, you need to make sure that you have the latest version installed which is version 3.5.2.11. If your version is lower, then please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below to download and install the latest version.

Norton Update Center

After the installation is complete, launch Norton 360, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates ". If any updates are installed, restart your computer.

Let me know if you have any questions about Norton 360 and I would be happy to assist you further in making sure that it is installed and configured correctly for Windows 7.

Thank you,
    Mike

10. 2009/12/01
    IvanH

Hi Mike,

I'm using 3.5.2.11 already. Norton 360 is working fine in Windows 7 Home Premium. But I need to know:

1. If I need to install Norton 360 AGAIN under Windows PC Mode in Windows 7 Professional edition?

2. Will Norton 360 reckon the double installation on the same PC as one licence, or two? What if I have multiple Virtual PCs on the same computer?

11. 2009/12/01
    etcwilliams

etcwilliams Inactive