1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Encrypted file system suddenly showing its face

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Moglex, 2009/11/07.

1. 2009/11/07
    Moglex

Moglex Inactive Thread Starter

I installed W7 on a new machine last Monday and suddenly, today, I start getting nagged to backup my file system encryption key.

As far as I'm aware I haven't encrypted anything but it's a bit worrying nontheless.

Can anyone tell me how to ensure that none of my files are being encrypted or why this nag screen has suddenly started to appear (and how to make it go away if its safe to do so)?

2. 2009/11/08
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

What exactly does the nag say?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/11/08
    Moglex

It seems to have stopped now so I can't tell you the exact message.

It was all extremely confusing with the various help messages being of no use whatsoever.

Edit: I just did a restart and a balloon message appeared by the tray saying (approx):

"Backup your encryption key
    This will prevent you losing ... "

Actually, this may not have stopped appearing as I don't usually stand over the PC whilst it boots so the message might appear every day!

Last edited: 2009/11/08
  5. 2009/11/08
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Were you looking/playng around with BitLocker? (which is the encryption thingie)

6. 2009/11/08
    Moglex

No. I have no interest in encrypting anything which is why the balloon message is a bit worrying. I don't want to find that at some stage in the future (e.g if W7 has to be reinstalled) all my files are suddenly unreadable.