1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Difference between OEM & Retail

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cecelikeike, 2009/11/03.

1. 2009/11/03
    cecelikeike

cecelikeike Inactive Thread Starter

I heard the differnce between the two is basically with the OEM you get one install basically, and the retail you can install more than once? Is this true. What I basically want to do is, reinstall the OS in case it crashes more than once, over several years without calling MS to get a different license key.

Second question, is if I bought ms office and installed it on three computers, can I just copy the install files and install it on a fourth computer without having to purchase it again? I know it comes with three licenses.
    Thanks

2. 2009/11/03
    clubECGR

clubECGR Inactive

the second question is intriguing me. It's like you purchased a pirated one, if copying the install files

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/11/03
    cecelikeike

No I bought the software form BB, and am wandering this, because of doing a clean install of windows 7 and having to install other software that I use. I would not buy pirated software! I would try free and if I like it then buy the darn thing. Don't trust pirated stuff!!

5. 2009/11/03
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

I fail to see the problem with this, is telephoning MS an issue for you, in most countries it's a free call?

You know it comes with three licenses so using it for a fourth computer is illegal and you will not get any assistance on these boards regarding this issue.

6. 2009/11/03
    cecelikeike

See so then I would have to buy another version that is what Iwanted to know, and yes calling Ms is a problem cause I have in the past, and going through different prompts only to get the wrong person and to be transferred is a pain in the rear.
    I realize I wouldn't get help on pirated stuff, that is why I would never ask about that kind of stuff. I am a computer junkie (6 all together)for what my wife likes to ask that too.

7. 2009/11/03
    cecelikeike

Wildfire, what is the difference between OEM and Retail?

8. 2009/11/03
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

OEM is for manufacturer, eg I have OEM XP home on this Packard Bell laptop the key (license number) won't work on my desktops because they are generic (self built) for those I needed retail.

9. 2009/11/03
    cecelikeike

That is why I had to call MS, I bought an OEM vista from newegg on my home built pc, and my hard drive crashed so I had to get a new license key and trying to get to the right person was a pain. In the end I got a different license key and was able to reinstall.

Can I ask you another question about WHS 2008 home edition?

10. 2009/11/03
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

You can ask, I may not answer ;)

Start a new thread plenty of people are looking in, someone will know the answer.

11. 2009/11/03
    cecelikeike

I started a thread last week, but no answers, I figure I would ask since I have you responding, it's like calling dell tech support, once you have them online, don't let go!!!!!!!

12. 2009/11/03
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

LOL,

I'll dig through and find your post. Give me a few minutes ;)

13. 2009/11/03
    cecelikeike

Cool, the thread is about restoring a laptop from a backup.

14. 2009/11/03
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Not my area ceelikeike sorry :(

But for others reading here is the link to the WHS problem

ceelikeike, that thread is still open so for you and others keep responses to that issue there. I'll dig around and ask people but no guaranteed answers. Take care.

15. 2009/11/03
    cecelikeike

Wildfire your entertaining I appreciate the help, now I am going to have to break up with you
    LOL
    Take care thanks for the info!!!!!