1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 won't sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jayman34, 2009/10/05.

1. 2009/10/05
    jayman34

jayman34 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi

Been using 7 for a while now and usually sleep my computer. I have now tried to do this for the last week and it wont sleep.

It does the usuall stuff starts to log off and screen eventually goes blank but my pc doesn't shut off. Still running and i assume is hanging. I eventually have to restart and then get the message that i didn't shut it down properly?

Any help please!

2. 2009/10/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Start your troubleshooting by running powercfg /energy from a command prompt.

When finished, copy C:\Windows\System32\energy-report.html to the desktop & open it with IE.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/10/06
    jayman34

i have done the above and opened the file. It does say i have errors.

1. being not set up for sleep which it isn't at the moment bcause of the probs.
    2. lists various usb problems "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend "
    3. warnings on other issues such as wireless lan.

Any ideas how to resolve as this is a bit over my head. It used to work fine so don't really get why it doesn't now. Only changes have been microsoft updates!!!!

5. 2009/10/06
    Arie

You'll have to troubleshoot the USB devices listed. You can check in device manager if the device has a Power Management tab when you open the Device Properties & if it can be set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power ".

You can also check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your device(s), and if all else fails disconnect the device (specially if you don't regularly use it).

Arie,
  6. 2009/10/10
    usasma

usasma Inactive

To check this, please do the following:

- physically remove all USB devices from the system
    - check to see if other devices are connected internally (through devmgmt.msc). If so, disable them in the BIOS (if possible) - if not, then disable them in devmgmt.msc
    - turn off the WLAN by using the switch on the case.

Once all of this is done, see if you can enable hibernate/sleep mode.
    If you can, then it's one of the devices that you've disable that's causing the problem.
    If you still can't, then it'll require further troubleshooting.

Most issues that I've seen of this sort revolve around video drivers, storage drivers, or chipset drivers. Try updating them to the latest Win7 compatible versions.

7. 2009/10/21
    jayman34

I have traced the problem to a ir remote receiver used with windows media centre. When i selected sleep it hanged as normal and as soon as i pulled this out of the usb it went to sleep.

Now the option for "allow this device to save power" is greyed out and not selectable? The box with allow to wake was ticked. I have ticked this and now it goes to sleep.

Although this is now working it hasn't solved the original problem as i used to use the remote to wake the pc and now cant and it always worked before? any more ideas anyone!

Done that.

8. 2009/10/21
    Arie

Only suggestion I'd have at this point is to contact the maker of the remote & see if they have a solution.

Arie,
  9. 2009/10/27
    jayman34

Remote is by rock. They don't appear to have a website or drivers. I have googled. I seem to remember it was just plug and play and windows installed the drivers automatically.

I will just have to live with it i suppose. Thanks everyone for there help

10. 2009/10/28
    Arie

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry we couldn't help you more.

Arie,
  11. 2009/11/01
    Zykan

Zykan Inactive

Your problem could be the slideshow screen...

• Go to Start and type in the search field (not run): Slideshow (this will open it automatically.)
    • Is there more than one image selected? If so only select one image and this will turn off the shuffle; the other way obviously is to turn off the shuffle.
    • Now go back to the sleep/hibernate/etc screen and change the time to a minute so you can try it out.

If this was the cause then the timing on the Slideshow is preventing the timing for Sleep, Hibernate etc from counting down...even if the Slideshow itself didn't work the timing will.

Last edited: 2009/11/01
  12. 2009/11/01
    jayman34

Thanks for your input but the problem was with an infrared usb receiver for a remote control. I have eliminated the hibernation for this and now my computer sleeps.