1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Internet Connection Problems.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pepse, 2009/09/19.

1. 2009/09/19
    Pepse

Pepse Well-Known Member Thread Starter

From time to time in Win7 I lose my internet connection. I run the trouble shooter and it fixes it. But this happens more than one-in-a-while. I have high a speed connection using the built in to the mobo Intel 82562G chip. I have no problems in Win XP or Kubuntu Linux. But strangely I have this problem in Mandriva Linux 2008.1, also. Is this possibly a Win 7 RC1 bug?

When it is fixed it states: "Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid IP configuration. Fixed.

Later. Pepse.

2. 2009/09/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Coincidentally I have run into the same problem in the last few days and was about to start a thread on the subject :) I am running the retail version (from Technet) of Windows 7 Pro x64.

Generally happens when the computer is restarted or woken from standby/sleep.

I have 2 NIC's - occurs on both and have even gone to the extent of loading a week old image of the drive which seems not to have resolved the problem.

I shall follow this thread with interest!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/09/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Possible cause on multi-boot systems:

The router logs the net name of Windows comps. The name may be different on each operating system. Usually, routers don't log the net name when running Linux, unless Samba is loaded at boot. Routers can become "confused" because the mac address is the same for each operating system on the comp. Solution is to use static addresses.

I'm triple booting my desktop, XP Pro, Debian, Win 7 Pro Final, using dhcp, no issues with lost connections.. No file sharing on any op sys, only access to shares on other comps.

5. 2009/09/20
    Pepse

Pete,

"Generally happens when the computer is restarted or woken from standby/sleep." I tend to agree that it mostly occurs about 10 to 15 minutes after going to my Win 7 hard drive. And I usually go to the net about 5 minutes after boot up. Similar to restarting. Then after being away from it for say 15 minutes or more.

TonyT,

My 4 OS's are on 4 different hard drives. And right now I don't have a bootloader so I go to Bios and change the hard drive to boot first, there.

Everything I run is on the 32bit system.

Latrer. Pepse.

6. 2009/09/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Tony

Thanks - I understand what you are saying re multiboot, but after sleep or a restart the XP install has not been connected to the Internet. Anyway, as XP is effectively redundant now apart from reference I'll kill the internet connection there and monitor the effect.

Pepse

If Tony is right your router is the common link to the internet, regardless of which hard drive the OS in use is on.

7. 2009/09/20
    Pepse

I hadn't been awake long when I read and answered this. The part about the router I didn't think about. Now it makes sense. So, now I will try to use "static" address's and go from there.

Thanks. Pepse.

8. 2009/09/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Let us know what happens.
    Also, realize that some Windows drivers for network adapters have built in support for power management, i.e. wake on lan, disconnect at hibernation, suspend, etc. Have a look at the driver properties via device manager.

Linux does not disconnect networking at logoff, suspend, etc. In fact, in linux, networking is initiated and completed prior to logon. That's because linux is a server based operating system. Services are initiated and loaded before a user actually logs on. And services remain loaded after logoff.

Last edited: 2009/09/21
  9. 2009/09/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Right - killed the Internet connection on XP, back in 7 the problem is unchanged.

Have dug deeper and unchecked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' on both NIC's - only one in use.

Internet remained connected after a sleep period, but 'one swallow does not make a summer' :)

Found a lot of hits on Google relating to this problem with Vista, but no solutions.

10. 2009/09/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Encouraging results to date - 5 or 6 Power Saving induced sleep periods today and so far the internet connection has not dropped out on wake :)

11. 2009/09/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Great! That means the remote access trojan we put on your comp can now talk back to us 24/7. Now...if we could just get Pete's Webcam to stay on all the time... :D

12. 2009/09/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

:eek: :p :rolleyes: