1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win 7 - Desktop Icons black out

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by k4tee, 2009/07/08.

1. 2009/07/08
    k4tee

k4tee Inactive Thread Starter

I love Win 7 better than Vista, but on my desktop, most of the icons are partially blacked out. The icons are blacked out from the bottom left corner up 2/3 of way and to the right 2/3 of the way, rest is visible. They all work okay, but its a pain to have to look around. Only other problem is my CA virus software doesn't report properly to win, but I can live with it for now.Thanks to all that reply, Bob.

2. 2009/07/08
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I have the same issue on a Vista machine...Got tied of messing with it so I just live with it. BUT, adjusting the DPI font size a little bit would fix em till I rebooted. Maybe you'll have better luck.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/07/10
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I would expect that to be a drive issue....

Arie,
  5. 2009/07/20
    k4tee

k4tee Inactive Thread Starter

I'm back after two weeks of living with the situation... Half the time when I boot up, the icons are blacked out, half time, they are not. When I change the resolution size of my screen, things clear up, but I always go back to the 1440 x 900 size. I guess it must be the video driver.

6. 2009/07/20
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Is this only the desktop icons?

Perhaps a little tweak of the icons on the desktop would help. Did you know that you can change this at will and rather easily, if you have a scroll mouse.

>Click on a blank spot of the desktop
    >press and hold down the keyboard control key Ctrl
    >press and roll the scroll button of mouse
    >up increases icon size down decreases icon size.

This just another twist on what Steve has already described as an ongoing problem he has learned to live with.

Last edited: 2009/07/20
  7. 2009/07/20
    usasma

usasma Inactive

Update your video drivers to the latest Win7 version available from the video chipset manufacturer (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc).