1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved MS really really wants you to go to WIN10

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by elcajongunsfan, 2016/05/03.

1. 2016/05/03
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. 2016/05/03
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Haven't we seen Gwx.exe before? neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/05/04
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

5. 2016/05/04
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

I think that's the one I downloaded, expecting it to be a guided tour to what W-10 could do. It barged in, deleted W-8.1 and internet Explorer, then loaded W-10 without any pre-amble. Luckily, it didn't screw up Google Chrome, or I wouldn't have had a browser other than Edge, which I dislike intensely and have taken off the toolbar.

I'm more at home with W-10 after a few months. It's better than 8.1, but nowhere near as good as XP, at least for what computer things I do.

6. 2016/05/04
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It didn't delete IE. It is still there. I use it instead of Edge.

7. 2016/05/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I was recently involved with 2 friends whose computers advised them that Updates were ready to install. One guy clicked OK and said W10 started installing. He was very surprised initially but everything went OK and he's quite happy learning his way round W10. (W8.1 to W10)
    The other guy brought his comp to me to check over as it was an Acer All in one unit running W7. The WU message advised that a scheduled time had been set by MS to install W10 UNLESS he didn't want to do so at that chosen time or to re-schedule for a later time.
    We (I) chose a suitable day/time which the owner agreed to and then we proceeded to clean up his comp and ensure ALL WU's were installed. I uninstalled his 3rd. party AV and used BelArc Advisor to locate and note all software product keys including his W7 OS.
    We then did a complete backup to an external drive and then left it to MS to carry out the upgrade to W10. This went ahead at the chosen time without any hassles. Another successful migration from W7 to W10 when following MS directions. Neil.