1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to emulate Win + [Access Magnifier via IR remote]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rikki, 2016/02/13.

1. 2016/02/13
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Here is an interesting problem: I have an IR USB remote that I want to use with Win 7. I need the magnifier function but the remote has no way to generate the + key scan code. Mousing to the Magnifier via Control Panel is not a viable option. So I need a way to generate Win + or an alternative way to turn on the magnifier that will work from my remote. So far I haven't found one. Is there a simple solution for this?

2. 2016/02/15
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Hi rikki,

I don't think I read your post correctly before I posted my unedited reply. As I re-read it (and if I read it correctly), I think you want to open the magnifier FROM the remote, and I don't know if that's possible. It might help to know what keys are on the remote.

Original post follows:

I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me.

1. If you can, open the M$ Accessibility folder (I have this accessible from my START menu, but don't remember how I did it).​
    2. Right-click on the Magnifier icon.​
    3. Select Properties, then the Shortcut tab (if it's not already selected).​
    4. The Shortcut key window will show None, but it will accept an input. I selected the Windows key plus Numberpad +, then OK.​
    The magnifier should now open by pressing the Windows key plus + (or =, seems to make no difference).

HTH​

Last edited: 2016/02/15

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/02/15
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Does your remote give you an arrow like a mouse does if so, start\search\magnifier. Then open the magnifier. Why not right click on the icon in the Taskbar and pin it to the Taskbar. The all you have to do is click on the magnifier icon in the Taskbar to either turn it on and then click on the icon again to turn it off.

lj50,
  5. 2016/02/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No joy on that LJ - my Kensington Wireless remote (used for PowerPoint presentations) has no control over the mouse arrow, just forwards or backwards the PowerPoint presentation.

6. 2016/02/15
    rikki

Thanks for the replies. I wrote a long response but I keep getting a very irritating expired token error that vanishes everything I have written. I wish the sysadmins would look at this. There must be a better way.

@jss3rd: Not sure what you mean by the Accessibility folder. Are you referring to Ease of Access? I would love to be able to make my own shortcut to the magnifier but I can't find any way to do it.

7. 2016/02/15

JSS3rd Geek Member

rikki ...

No, not Ease of Access, although the magnifier certainly can be accessed from there.

I run a highly customized UI of Win7, starting with the Classic Shell as, IMO, the Win9x UI was the best that the Gnomes of Redmond ever developed. And, I work primarily from within Windows Explorer and the Start Menu, and have only a few shortcut icons on my Desktop.

To show you what I mean by a customized Start Menu, mine is shown in the accompanying screenshot, with the Accessibility folder highlighted. It's been so long since I did this that I can't remember how I did it.

That said, it's easy to make a shortcut to the magnifier. Magnify.exe is in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Navigate your way to it, right-click on it and select Create shortcut from the context menu. Then you can drag it to your Desktop, located at C:\Users\Username\Desktop or your Start Menu, located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

Attached Files:

rikki likes this.
  8. 2016/02/16
    rikki

That is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much. Sometimes it is hard to find simple answers to things. Thanks again. You really made my day.

9. 2016/02/16

JSS3rd Geek Member

I'm glad to have helped, and that the shortcut works for you.