1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved System restore points after enabling ACHI

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alboy, 2016/02/01.

1. 2016/02/01
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi
    After a year or more I have finally enabled ACHI for my ssd on my win7 machine as it was not enabled at install, My question is will this make all the previous System restore points before making this change obsolete and possibly make my machine unbootable if used, as I had to make an edit to the Registry, and I believe that the system restore points also contain a backup of the Registry and so would change the Registry back to the settings that was causing my machine not to boot after I has set ACHI in the bios but without doing the Registry edit first.

many thanks for any replies

2. 2016/02/03
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Hi Alboy,

Now that you've enabled ACHI, if your computer is working properly why not create a new System Restore point and delete all previous ones? To create a new one at any time, open Control Panel > System > System Protection. The Create button opens a window that allows you to give your new Restore point a unique name.

To delete all but the newest Restore point click Start > Run, and type cleanmgr. The Disk Cleanup window will open, with the C: drive showing. Click on the OK button; Disk Cleanup will scan your C: drive (it may take awhile) and list the files it can safely delete. Click the More Options tab, then click the bottom Clean up button. Click the Delete button in the box that opens, then the OK button in the Disk Cleanup window. Click the Delete Files button in the final box.

It's worth noting that System Restore does NOT make a complete copy of the Registry. To do this a small free program called ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) will back up the complete Registry in a matter of seconds; it can be run at startup or as desired. Be sure to read the somewhat lengthy documentation, especially the section about restoring the Registry with ERDNT. The documentation was written long before Win7 came along, but rest assured that ERUNT works perfectly with both 32 and 64-bit versions of Win7.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/02/03
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Many thanks for your reply Jim
    I think I will just delete all the previous restore points and create a new one.