1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows will not recognize iPod device

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sdculp, 2015/11/27.

1. 2015/11/27
    sdculp

sdculp Inactive Thread Starter

My iPod Touch will communicate with the iTunes software in the computer, but the computer doesn't recognize it as a device, so pictures and videos cannot be transferred back and forth via Explorer or software with invokes Explorer.

A Google search seems to say that many are experiencing the same problem, but none of the offered fixes work. Device manager, My Computer or Explorer don't show the iPod.

Strangely, this function worked at one time and there are several pictures and videos in the iPod, but they cannot now be removed or others added.

I think that this is basically an iPod problem, but hopefully some Windows help will assist me in solving the issue.

2. 2015/11/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi sdculp, I'm not an Apple man, but if you save the Data/Files/Photos to a USB thumb drive - can you then install/save to your comp? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I had the same problem. If you're using an iPod stand remove the stand and plug the cable directly into the iPod.

lj50,
  5. 2015/11/28
    sdculp

sdculp Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Although this is primarily an iPod/iTunes discussion, many computer folks may find this informative. This is what I have learned about the iPod:

It is not a device like a camera where it is recognized as a device by the computer and where you can have access to the memory via Explorer. For those who do not have a computer background and do not think of it in this way, it may be simpler to understand and use.

There are five what I would call levels of memory. Three are controlled and accessed by iTunes and not the computer. One is not accessible or controlled by either. And one is only accessible for output only by the computer. In only one instance is a memory recognized as a device and is visible by the computer.

Level 1--Downloaded music and videos: These are downloaded via iTunes and are accessible and controlled only by the device and iTunes. Perhaps this is to prevent piracy.

Level 2--Music and videos inputted by the user: These are installed and synced via iTunes from the computer. For ease of use it is best that these be placed in a special folder which is easily identified by iTunes. By manipulating and re-syncing the folder, files can be put into or removed from the iPod. The iPod device cannot delete these files.

Level 3--Photos and videos inputted by the user: This is similar to Level 2 except treated as photos instead of music in iTunes. Again, a special folder in the computer is helpful.

Level 4--Selfies: These are not controllable or visible by iTunes or the computer. The only way these can be removed is via email. A terrible arrangement! All but the last one can be deleted by the iPod. One seems to stay in the iPod forever!

Level 5--pictures and videos taken by the user: These are the only ones accessible via the computer-recognized-device and Explorer. Furthermore, if there are no pictures or videos available in the iPod, the computer will not even recognize the iPod as a device. This arrangement is why you do not see the iPod as a device under normal circumstances.

Finally, iTunes does not like to be open and closed repetitively. Also, sometimes it will hang up. After each session, it is best to unplug the iPod, reboot the computer and then plug the iPod back in. In this way the re-syncing process will take place normally and the iPod will be detected.

6. 2015/11/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I was just explaining how I fixed my situation of not being able to sync my iPod in iTunes.

lj50,
  7. 2015/11/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Was Steve Jobs paranoid or what. It's much easier with MS to just do what you want. Neil.