1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Computer is making a loud beep sound during startup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by desmog21, 2015/07/19.

1. 2015/07/19
    desmog21

desmog21 Inactive Thread Starter

Hello!
    I'm having issues with my Acer laptop.. When I started my computer it will display boot manager forcing me to select an operating system of which I had only one operating system installed(win 7)
    So I opened cmd and run as an administrator and I typed
    "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no"
    It shows that operation was successfully then I typed exit and restarted my computer and noticed that the boot manager was no longer displaying anymore.

But now during startup the computer is making a loud beep sound for like a minute before displaying the welcome home screen as if the RAM is dead

Please I need help on how to stop the sound or is my ram a gonner?

Thanks

Last edited: 2015/07/19
  2. 2015/07/19
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/19
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi desmog21, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

If you press F8 on startup and select Safe Mode, does the computer still make the beep sound?

Do you have any extra peripherals connected to your Acer laptop? Have you entered your computers BIOS and set the appropriate settings to their default values?

I'd start with running Check Disk on the hard drive and see if that solves the beeping issue.

Run Check Disk on the hard drive to repair any errors in the file system. To do this click Start< My Computer. Right click on your hard drive and click on Properties. Then once the hard drive properties dialog box opens, click on the Tools Tab. Under where it says Error-checking click on the Check Now button. Ensure that both the Automatically fix file system errors and the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checkboxes are both checked. After that is done click on the Start button. Check Disk will ask you to schedule the disk check when you restart your computer. Click on yes to do this and then restart your computer to allow check disk to run.

desmog21 likes this.
  5. 2015/07/19
    desmog21

Hello Terminator :)

I did followed all your instructions above but the beep sound continues..
    I did the disk check and no problem was found I restarted it several times and I noticed that while pressing some functions key and power bottoms the sound will stop then it will boot into home screen

Last edited: 2015/07/19
  6. 2015/07/19
    desmog21

During startup it will hang thus producing the loud beep sound. When I press the power bottons several times the sound will stop then it will continue booting the welcome home screen

7. 2015/07/20
    Evan Omo

Lets start by checking your memory. Run Memtest86+ and see if you have any faulty RAM modules. Read this guide for using Memtest86+, Guide to using Memtest86+.

Please note:

To work around the above, test the installed RAM in various configurations. If you have a single module, swap it around the slots. If you have a pair of modules, run each one singly, swapping between slots; and then run them in pairs swapping between pairs of slots. If you have 2 sets of matched modules do not get them mixed up.

Then you should test your hard drive using SeaTools for Windows. Run all the basic tests and see what comes up.

desmog21 likes this.
  8. 2015/07/20
    desmog21

I did the RAM test up to test #10 and no error was found. But I was stock in between cause I wasn't able to exist from the Memtest each time I tried pressing ESC to exist but it did re-run the test again and again which ended up in bootmrg missing press Ctr Alt Del to restart.

But I later figured it out and now I'm done with both RAM and Hard disk test..no issues so far

9. 2015/07/20
    Evan Omo

Did you run Seatools for Windows yet? Is the beeping still occurring on boot up?

Does the beep sound happen if you boot the computer into Safe Mode?

10. 2015/07/21
    desmog21

Hello Evan!
    Thanks for your time..appreciated
    Wow the sound has stopped! Yea I did run the Seatools and everything was great..the sound was only during startup, so basically if I press several keys or let's say boot into safe mode the beep sound will stop and after restarting it will try to boot again and the beep sound will continue.

But after those several test I run and startup repairs, everything is OK now..no sound or wired noise anymore. But the boot manager has appeared again forcing me to select the only installed operating system

11. 2015/07/21
    Evan Omo

Were you ever dual booting another operating system by any chance? Click Start< Run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. When the Disk Management window opens, post a screenshot of that window on http://imgur.com/ and post the link here in your next reply.

Has the boot screen been showing up for a long time or did you make a system change and then the boot screen started appearing on every boot up?

12. 2015/07/22
    desmog21

My computer actually got stuck.
    I shut it down last night..and powered it On when I was awake but it was installing updates of 214. So I waited but it too hours..its actually stuck at 166 of 214 of many hours of installation.
    I restarted the system and boot into safe mode after which the update installation continues and now it's stuck at 209 of 214 (2 hours) no changes :(

13. 2015/07/22
    Evan Omo

Is the computer still stuck on installing updates?

If so then follow these steps:

1. Enter the advanced recovery options.
    2. Choose the Command Prompt option in the System Recovery Options window.
    3. When the Command Prompt window opens type the following commands, exactly as written below, in the order in which they are presented, and press enter after entering each command:

• Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    • Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • BootRec.exe /fixmbr
    • BootRec.exe /fixboot
    • sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
    • chkdsk c: /r
    • exit
    4. If you receive any warnings or notifications asking you are you sure press Y to confirm.
    5. After exiting the Command Prompt window, reboot the computer and see if you can boot into Windows 7 successfully.

14. 2015/07/22
    desmog21

When I type "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows "
    It says "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

15. 2015/07/22
    Evan Omo

Just keep moving onto the other commands.

16. 2015/07/22
    desmog21

chkdsk c: /r
    At the end of the checking it shows Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

But I've restarted and I can't still boot into windows home. it was showing configuring Windows updates..later it shows "Failure configuring windows updates reverting changes. "

Last edited: 2015/07/22
  17. 2015/07/22
    desmog21

Last edited: 2015/07/22
  18. 2015/07/22
    Evan Omo

What do you have on the Data Storage partition?

19. 2015/07/23
    desmog21

Not important there..I can't delete it

20. 2015/07/23
    Evan Omo

Well, because your Data Storage partition is the Active partition, if you format it and remove it then Windows won't boot as the Boot Configuration Data is stored on that partition for some stupid reason so you more than likely will get the error message that your Boot Configuration is corrupt when you start Windows.

Do you have a second Windows installation on that partition or do you just have data files on that partition?

I think that the boot selection screen that is coming up could be because you have that second Data Storage partition which is causing problems. Do you want to remove that partition completely and then repair the Boot Configuration Data or just leave this issue alone?

21. 2015/07/23
    desmog21

Its only Just data I've in the partition.. So I've backup and formated it.
    So what next I do now?

Last edited: 2015/07/23