1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Run DLL notice

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wdzieczkowski, 2015/06/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2015/06/27
    wdzieczkowski

wdzieczkowski Inactive Thread Starter

as my Compaq desktop (running Win 7 premium home edition) is booting up, a window pops in the center of screen labeled ...... "Run DLL "

with the following statement:

C:\USERS\FRAN\CONDUIT\BACKGROUNDCONTAINER\BACKGROUNDCONTAINER.DLL

Specific module could not be found..

Does anybody know what this is, and how do I get rid of it or by not being found, my machine isn't operating properly .....once I close it my machine seems to operate OK...I have been ignoring it by just clicking on OK it and it goes away...

2. 2015/06/27
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You have Malware/Spyware on your computer. Conduit is known malware. It brings lots of stuff with it. You should go to the malware section and read what to do there and post the logs.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/06/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi wdzieczkowski, Welcome to WindowsBBS. I had to remove Conduit from my brother's comp last year and this is what I followed:http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-apps-search-and-toolbar/
    It came in with some new Software/Program and he had failed to read ALL the messages and missed the uncheck procedure before hitting "NEXT ". Neil.

Last edited: 2015/06/27
    wdzieczkowski likes this.
  5. 2015/06/28
    wdzieczkowski

If the notice is it can't find
    "c:\users\........\backgroundcontainer.dll "
    (I'm showing my age now) that the line above is in some *.bat (DOS) file that is run on startup or boot up of the machine....and that the "Container" malware was removed at some time but the above line was not.

I guess I'm asking can I get to the startup or bootup files and remove the line and do away with it, ?

6. 2015/06/28
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do you see a .BAT file that contains that line in either of these Startup folders:
    • C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

• C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    ?

7. 2015/06/28
    wdzieczkowski

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    From the Dos windows the above is there in the c:\root. But when I the the following;
    c:\dir *.bat
    it tells me "file not found

8. 2015/06/28
    MrBill

Read post #2 and go from there. Broni is good at what he does. This Conduit also brings in more stuff that has to be taken care of.

9. 2015/06/28
    SpywareDr

To do it from a "C:\" CMD prompt, the command would be:

dir "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*.bat" /a​

You could also click the Windows Start orb, type in (or copy and paste) the following line in:

explorer.exe "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup "​

and press [Enter].

In both instances though, be sure to replace the "{username}" portion of the commands with whatever your Windows username might be.

10. 2015/06/28
    wdzieczkowski

Thanks I'll get to it next week....let you know what happens...Since it just seems that the loss of the DLL is not really affecting the computer. just the the msg is annoying...

11. 2015/06/28
    wdzieczkowski

In instance #1 from Dos prompt. the directory was empty either dir *.*
    or dir *.bat /a

Instance #2 from Explorer....no files listed..

12. 2015/06/28
    SpywareDr

When you're sitting at a "C:\" prompt, and you type:

dir *.bat /a​

you will only be shown any .BAT files that are in the root ( "\ ") directory (folder) ... because you didn't specify anything different. If the root directory doesn't contain any .BAT files you'll get the "File Not Found" error.

In order to see if there are any .BAT files in the "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder, you would either need to:
    • change into that folder first with the command:

cd "Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup "​

and then do your:

dir *.bat /a​

or,

• tell the DIRectory command to look in the "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder for .BAT files with the following command:

dir "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*.bat" /a​

If no .BAT files are found in either of the above Startup folders, (whether from a DOS prompt or in Windows Explorer), thn you might searching the registry for that "C:\USERS\FRAN\CONDUIT\BACKGROUNDCONTAINER\BACKGROUNDCONTAINER.DLL" string and delete it.

13. 2015/06/28
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi wdzieczkowski, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

Please just follow the instructions that Bill posted since messing with batch files is not going to solve the problem here and you could have more malware installed on the machine.

Post a new thread in the Malware and Virus Removal Forum and broni will help to clean up your machine.

14. 2015/06/28
    MrBill

Yep. Conduit brings in several things and removing Conduit will not get the rest of them.

15. 2015/06/30
    wdzieczkowski

Spyware Doc.
    Replying to your Msg.

If no .BAT files are found in either of the above Startup folders, (whether from a DOS prompt or in Windows Explorer), thn you might searching the registry for that "C:\USERS\FRAN\CONDUIT\BACKGROUNDCONTAINER\BACKGROUNDCONTAINER.DLL" string and delete it.
    I did not find *.bat as above

I am assuming that my Verizon Sec Software or my "Should I remove it" software got rid of Container. But did not clean out the above "Run Dll notice ".

Can you tell what the registry dos line looks like eg is it c:\registry\Users\.....?

16. 2015/06/30
    SpywareDr

I'd just do a search with the Windows registry editor, "regedit ". In Windows, click the Start orb, type in regedit and press [Enter]. In regedit, press [Ctrl][F], type in backgroundcontainer.dll and press [Enter].

wdzieczkowski likes this.
  17. 2015/06/30
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Read This Article Then head over to the Malware forum and let broni check out your machine. If there is any malware lurking on your machine broni will find it and eradicate it.

Last edited: 2015/06/30
  18. 2015/06/30
    MrBill

You would probably be clean by now if you would of went to the Malware section when we asked you to. It isn't that hard to do.

19. 2015/06/30
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

There is no point in continuing this thread.

wdzieczkowski, head over to the Malware forum & get your system checked. That's the only proper action to take now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.