1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Why Is The Administrator Folder Listed Under Users?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by James Martin, 2015/06/09.

1. 2015/06/09
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

Inside of the shared Users folder on my desktop PC, I have folders called Administrator, Default, Me, and Public.

On the laptop, the same shared User folder only shows folders called Me and Public.

Under Folder Options, both PCs are set to hide hidden, files, folders & drives.

Is the desktop PC a security risk?

2. 2015/06/09
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi James. No that behavior is normal. Do you have the system administrator account enabled on the logon screen?

If you do not have the system administrator account enabled then you can remove the administrator folder as it will get re-created if you decide to enable the account and log into it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/06/10
    James Martin

No, but I did at one time.

In XP, a person could boot into safe mode and choose whether to log into the administrator account or not. Windows 7 version of safe mode had no such selection, so after doing a Google search, I found out how to enable the administrator log-in option. I hid the account not long after.

What about the Default folder? Is that part of the administrator account too?

Last edited: 2015/06/10
  5. 2015/06/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

The "Default" would be more part of Windows than it would the admin account.

6. 2015/06/10
    James Martin

Enabling access to the administrator account must've played a part in showing the Default folder? I don't see it on the laptop unless I check the radio button to unhide hidden folders in Folder Options.

7. 2015/06/10
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

The Default folder in Windows 7 is always there and you will see it if you have the option to show hidden files and folders enabled in Windows Explorer.

8. 2015/07/03
    James Martin

Thanks, all.

I will mark this thread as resolved.